Is Sherlock still relevant?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
there was a day and time when sherlock was king of the searching roost. it used to be the main feature for a system update (OS 8.5). but now, with the advent of things like instant google searches in safari, or utilties like ambrosia's iseek or watson or the free/donationware search & launch utility "another launcher," it feels like the "search utilty" market is getting incredibly crowded.

my question: is sherlock still relevant?

i mean, i can't recall the last time i cracked it open to look for anything. usually, it's google or other bookmarked websites that get my searches. and i haven't heard any changes in sherlock from reports re: panther.

any thoughts on this, folks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I use it for stocks, translation, and the dictionary all the time
  • Reply 2 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I never use Sherlock. Ever.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I use Sherlock now and then for movie show times. That's about the only time I think about it.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    resres Posts: 711member
    I never thought much of Sherlock. Sometime I will use it for movies, but that's about it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I hated Sherlock in OS 9 so much since it was needed for HD searches and SOOOO DAMN SLOW! So much so that I haven't recovered and I never gave it a shot on my OS X box (er-hemisphere).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I use it for eBay and dictionary. If I'm doing a lot of stuff at once, I just leave it open.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, it certainly seems that apple is letting sherlock die on the vine, as it were. probably because a heck of a lot of us go directly to google or dictionary.com, or other such sites for our news and info. plus, does sherlock still require web sites to make plug-ins for most effective use? some sites bothered in the beginning, but not so much anymore.

anyway, the thought just crossed my mind as i recall that sherlock's icon is ALWAYS in the dock after a fresh mac os x install... and i promptly "poof" it away.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Sherlock was great when it came out and then Apple overthought it and now it's a cluttered mess in my opinion. I don't use it anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    For those using Sherlock rather than Safari to look up spellings:

http://www.google.com/help/features.html#dictionary
  • Reply 10 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I do use Sherlock occasionally, but I use Watson a lot more...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Sherlock has sucked since it first came out. Sherlock 1 in OS 8 wasn't that intrusive, just a discreet "internet search" tab when you clicked command-F. Sherlock 2 in OS 9 sucked big time. What a piece of crap! Slow and it even had ads built into it! I actually transferred the Sherlock 1 application from an OS 8 computer to my OS 9 computer and trashed Sherlock 2. Sherlock in OS X 10.0 and 10.1 was basically the same as in OS 9, and with 10.2 Sherlock has gotten a new use but it's still crappy and slow.

Basically, Sherlock never has been good, it isn't good now, and it will never be good. Apple needs to do a quiet mercy killing, but unfortunately Sherlock is also part of 10.3 so I guess they'll have to keep working on it.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    It's not in the Dock by default in Panther if that means anything.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Sherlock has sucked since it first came out. Sherlock 1 in OS 8 wasn't that intrusive, just a discreet "internet search" tab when you clicked command-F. Sherlock 2 in OS 9 sucked big time. What a piece of crap! Slow and it even had ads built into it! I actually transferred the Sherlock 1 application from an OS 8 computer to my OS 9 computer and trashed Sherlock 2. Sherlock in OS X 10.0 and 10.1 was basically the same as in OS 9, and with 10.2 Sherlock has gotten a new use but it's still crappy and slow.

Basically, Sherlock never has been good, it isn't good now, and it will never be good. Apple needs to do a quiet mercy killing, but unfortunately Sherlock is also part of 10.3 so I guess they'll have to keep working on it.

At least they killed the find file part of it and made it a part of the Finder.