Important iPod question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Since USB 2 is backward compatible, is it possible to use the 3G iPod with an older Mac that only has USB 1.1? I really want an iPod, but I don't have a firewire Mac at the present time. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    iPod = Digital Hub
  • Reply 2 of 5
    A USB 2.0 PORT is backwards compatible, not a device, and that would be way to slow anyway
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    What kind of Mac is it? It is possible to get a firewire card from a third party. Or just get a new computer (if possible, if not, look for the fire wire card.)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The only non-Firewire Mac that can't have Firewire added to it is the non-Firewire iBooks and the 350 MHz iMac. 233, 266 and 333 MHz iMacs (tray loading drives) can have Firewire added (albeit expensively) by using a Sonnet G3 processor upgrade that also adds a Firewire port. It's probably not worth it to get one of those processor upgrades for a Rev. A-D iMac just for the Firewire, so you'd probably be best off buying a new machine if you have one of those computers and you really want an iPod. You could pick up a Firewire-equipped iMac for a few hundred bucks. On the other hand, that processor upgrade will cost less than a new machine, so it might be worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey Digital Hub, go deep and I'll hit you at the 40.

Touchdown!