TiBook Processor Upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Possible? If yes, any company out there planning this soon? I haven't heard either for or against something like this, yet the guy I sold my Ti-400 just asked me last night.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No, the processor in the TiBooks is soldered onto the motherboard. If he wants a faster machine... all he can really do is throw out his TiBook and buy a new one.

EDIT: Oh, you could theoretically upgrade the motherboard to one with a 500 MHz processor, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I also think you could theoretically replace the motherboard with one from a later, faster TiBook, but it probably wouldn't work anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No, the processor in the TiBooks is soldered onto the motherboard. If he wants a faster machine... all he can really do is throw out his TiBook and buy a new one.

EDIT: Oh, you could theoretically upgrade the motherboard to one with a 500 MHz processor, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I also think you could theoretically replace the motherboard with one from a later, faster TiBook, but it probably wouldn't work anyway.

I seem to recall a company that would take your PowerBook, de-solder the CPU and solder in a new one... Was that Newer Technologies?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    TechnoWarehouse LLC (formed by former NewerTech employees) will do an upgrade on the soldered processor on slot-loading iMacs, but that's the only upgrade I know of where anyone will desolder the processor and solder in a new one. I don't think the upgrade exists for PowerBooks but it might be available somewhere.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

Possible? If yes, any company out there planning this soon? I haven't heard either for or against something like this, yet the guy I sold my Ti-400 just asked me last night.

Thanks in advance for any info.

You can clock the Ti400 to at least 500 mhz and speed the bus up to 133 mhz. Take a look at www.xlr8yourmac.com