The Panther in store event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone went to the in store Jagwire event last year and if so what was it like?

I'm going to get Panther next friday, but I was wondering whether I should go to the CompUSA 5 minutes away or the Crossgates apple store 2 and a half hours away? I figure if the in store event is good stuff, it might be worth taking a little trip.

Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone went to the in store Jagwire event last year and if so what was it like?

I'm going to get Panther next friday, but I was wondering whether I should go to the CompUSA 5 minutes away or the Crossgates apple store 2 and a half hours away? I figure if the in store event is good stuff, it might be worth taking a little trip.

Comments?

CompUsa? Are you CRAZY!? Heh. The people at CompUSA know jack sh*t about Macs. They'll give you the wrong information. If you wanna get the real experience go to the Apple Store 2 and a half hours away from you. Those ppl REALLY know their Macs. I know this for a fact because I had a friend who bought a Mac from CompUsa and she got screwed so to speak. I wasn't at the Jaguar (not Jagwire like Steve was pronouncing it) event last year but I bet it was cool. The Panther one should be no different. Never EVER get anything Mac related at CompUSA. They'll just confuse you. They'll give you some whacked out explanation that'll make SOME sense but not alot of sense... anyway... go to your semi-local Apple store. That's all I gotta say.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Well, if its any consilation I did drive the whole way to albany last year to get my powermac. I don't ask any questions at CompUSA for the reasons you stated (although the apple rep there seems pretty good), I just buy the stuff I need.

So what in the heck happens in the 4 hour event?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

CompUsa? Are you CRAZY!? Heh. The people at CompUSA know jack sh*t about Macs. They'll give you the wrong information. If you wanna get the real experience go to the Apple Store 2 and a half hours away from you. Those ppl REALLY know their Macs. I know this for a fact because I had a friend who bought a Mac from CompUsa and she got screwed so to speak. I wasn't at the Jaguar (not Jagwire like Steve was pronouncing it) event last year but I bet it was cool. The Panther one should be no different. Never EVER get anything Mac related at CompUSA. They'll just confuse you. They'll give you some whacked out explanation that'll make SOME sense but not alot of sense... anyway... go to your semi-local Apple store. That's all I gotta say.

If he's just going to pick up Panther I don't see why not just go to CompUSA unless he really wants to go to the Apple Store event. CompUSA's fine when you know what you want to get.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Hey all!

Comments?

Just order it online, I have class on friday evenings so I can't make it to an Apple store, so I ordered it. If all goes as planned (which it might not considering Apple's less than stellar recent record of getting things to people on time) I will have Panther when I get home from class on the 24th. I can't wait.

Everyone is absolutely correct about CompUSA. They know jack about Macs. I manage to impress the "Apple rep" at my local store every time I go in there. It surprises me how little the "apple rep" knows about apple products.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    I didn't go to the Jaguar event, but so far I heard about T-shirts and so on....

Will there be also discounts for hardware? I want to get a new Pb 17" and wondering whether to buy at the Apple Store on Friday (especially if there is a discount!) or buy over the web from Mac Mall/ Mac Connections, etc.

What do you think?

enrico
  • Reply 6 of 35
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by enrico

I didn't go to the Jaguar event, but so far I heard about T-shirts and so on....

Will there be also discounts for hardware? I want to get a new Pb 17" and wondering whether to buy at the Apple Store on Friday (especially if there is a discount!) or buy over the web from Mac Mall/ Mac Connections, etc.

What do you think?

enrico

I have not heard anything of discounts, or shirts promised

the only thing that is SPECIAL is the extended hours and iMac give-away

maybe there will be shirts, and STICKERs, and a new MOUSE-PAD (i am using my Jaguar print one, it is pretty nice)

last time, didn't they have some crazy thing like only 8 minutes of discounts, or what was the length?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Hey, I have to stick up for the Apple rep at the CompUSA here in Rochester.

Nate seriously knows his stuff when it comes to Macs.

So not all of 'em are bad.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

Hey, I have to stick up for the Apple rep at the CompUSA here in Rochester.

Nate seriously knows his stuff when it comes to Macs.

So not all of 'em are bad.

No, man, Nate called me and said that he thought you smelled really bad.... You shure you won't to be backing up a guy who said that you smelled, like, really bad? I mean, Nate and I are cool, we play pool together, so I don't think he would lie to me, would he?

Any way, CompUSA is a store that sells products, of course there will be jerks everywhere you go, and good people every too...

but seriously... Nate does not want this to be a big "deal" between you two, so, maybe you should talk about it, I don't know...
  • Reply 9 of 35
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

No, man, Nate called me and said that he thought you smelled really bad.... You shure you won't to be backing up a guy who said that you smelled, like, really bad? I mean, Nate and I are cool, we play pool together, so I don't think he would lie to me, would he?

Any way, CompUSA is a store that sells products, of course there will be jerks everywhere you go, and good people every too...

but seriously... Nate does not want this to be a big "deal" between you two, so, maybe you should talk about it, I don't know...

I guess the"insane" part is well deserved.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Well, if its any consilation I did drive the whole way to albany last year to get my powermac. I don't ask any questions at CompUSA for the reasons you stated (although the apple rep there seems pretty good), I just buy the stuff I need.

So what in the heck happens in the 4 hour event?

That's great! I sold you that computer. I remember reading your post later that night and thinking how cool it was that a computer I sold ended up in the hands of an AI member.

The Jaguar event was nuts. The line at Crossgates was twice the line we had when we opened. There were tons of people, decent discounts, a good time was had by all, except me. I got a flat tire on the way home and had to be back at the mall at 8 am.

If you go you gotta say hi to some of the people there for me.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

I guess the"insane" part is well deserved.

oh you
  • Reply 12 of 35
    I went into the Apple Store in San Jose yesterday and asked them about what was going to happen this Friday with the Panther launch.

The sales person I asked said that no details were yet available about what exactly was going to happen other than Panther would be available. I figure that even if the sales person did know what is going to happen he wouldn't tell me.

Anyways I was looking around the store and noticed that the slide show playing in the theater was all around the Friday launch. One of the slides said something to the effect of "extra special savings and a drawing for a new mac"

I went to the last launch event and they had a 10% off all software if you purchased a copy of Jaguar or a system. But they didn't have any hardware discounts.

Along with that they had a drawing for an iMac, but the entries were gathered from ALL of the Apple stores for 1 iMac.

They also gave away a Jaguar tee-shirt if you purchased a copy of Jaguar that night.

If you have never experienced the true fanaticism of an Apple launch event it is worth going at least once for the fun of it.

- G in the S

Quote:

What do you think?

enrico

• Reply 13 of 35
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    I will be at the Legacy Village Apple Store Grand Opening tomorrow night!!! Yayyyyy!!!!! It should be a fun time.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    I keep hearing people mentioning 10% or even 20% discounts on hardware.....fingers crossed!!

Stupid question: if I walk in to buy a new PB 17inch...I guess not necessarily the new OS will be already installed: do I just get the installation CDs to take home with me?? Or would I need to go through the $19.95/shipping deal?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

I keep hearing people mentioning 10% or even 20% discounts on hardware.....fingers crossed!!

Stupid question: if I walk in to buy a new PB 17inch...I guess not necessarily the new OS will be already installed: do I just get the installation CDs to take home with me?? Or would I need to go through the $19.95/shipping deal?

enrico here is the official bit from the Apple Press Release that went out today.

"All 65 Apple retail stores will host "Night of the Panther" kick-off events with free gifts, great savings, theater demos and a chance to win a Mac®"

I really don't think that the hardware will be on sale. I don't ever remember Apple putting their hardware on sale unless they are coming out with a new model and need to empty the channels of a glut of existing systems. They might surprise us, but I have a feeling that they will only have software discounts and not hardware.

- G in the S
  • Reply 16 of 35
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

You would need to get the $20 upgrade. They don't have that stuff in the stores.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    During "Night of the Panther" Apple's darwing will be for a 15-inch iMac.

Here is the link for the info.

http://www.apple.com/retail/panther/
  • Reply 18 of 35
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G in the S

During "Night of the Panther" Apple's darwing will be for a 15-inch iMac.

Talk about being cheap!
  • Reply 19 of 35
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'll be at Six Flags for Fright Fest tomorrow night so this'll be the first Apple Store avent that I miss.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Any Washingtonians here? I will be either in the BellevueSquare or U.Village AppleStore tomorrow...