David Blaine - Magician/Stunt Devil or Complete Idiot

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ine/index.html

so, he's doing pretty bad. all because of his latest stunt in which he tries mto survive on water for 44 days. and he is doing this because? people care? no, i don't care, and for the first half of the stunt people would mock him and throw stuff at him.

is this even legal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ine/index.html

so, he's doing pretty bad. all because of his latest stunt in which he tries mto survive on water for 44 days. and he is doing this because? people care? no, i don't care, and for the first half of the stunt people would mock him and throw stuff at him.

is this even legal?

Idiocy is not illegal

However it's ridiculous. People died from starvation in our world right now, and nobody is there to attest of a form of record. I am please that i did not see this on the media : this man deserve only one thing : that we ignore him.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I think that it is awesome . . . he has a right to do such stunts . . . to push himself to the absolute limit and see how far he can go. Comfortable people can go ahead and call him an idiot . .. I (who am absurdly comfortable) think that it is a work of ART!!!

His other stunts are pretty amazing as well . . no David Copperfield illusions here . . . just himself and time and exposure to scrutiny . . .if it doesn't make you THINK about life and committment to a form and only makes you call him names then you are missing something

Just imagine what kind of thoughts he started having around DAY 20!!!!

Indian tribes would push themselves when attempting to get divine insight: Vision Quests . . . I think there is something similar here without the new-age mumbo-jumbo . . . simply intensity of experience due to an intense level of personal committment and daring and effort

all of us are too comfortable to come close to trying anythng dangerous . . . so much so that most are heckling him . . . how lame

I think that he is exploring the edges of human experience and risking his being whiile doing so . . I am impressed
  • Reply 3 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I could do it.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    But you won't
  • Reply 5 of 39
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Doooooooo it....
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Dunno why Blaine can't just sit in a box at the back of his house and not in the middle of London....
  • Reply 7 of 39
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    The longest I ever went without food was 8 days...but unlike David, drank Stout instead of water. On the 8th day I passed out standing up...Stout in hand. It sucked. Ambulance and medics came, went to the hospital, needled me for blood. Ick. The doc's recommendation? Eat something and sleep for more than ten hours a week.

Quote:

...people care?

Yes. I do. He's taken his schtick from a slight-of-hand street magician to a full-blown Houdini. David Blaine rules.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

slight-of-hand street magician

You either mean sleight-of-hand or maybe slight-of-talent. I'd go for the latter.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Yes. I do. He's taken his schtick from a slight-of-hand street magician to a full-blown Houdini. David Blaine rules.

there is nothing houdini about it. don't compare this nut to someone like houdini. it's not fair to houdini
  • Reply 10 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Houdini wasn't so great. I have a rare photograph of him locking his keys in his car.

• Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

there is nothing houdini about it. don't compare this nut to someone like houdini. it's not fair to houdini

Riiiight. Houdini was an illusionist. He created some of the greatest illusions ever, but they were just that. Illusions. He always had an out.

Explain to me how Mr. Blaine is able to pull this off then. Seems pretty transparent (pun intended) to me.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

His other stunts are pretty amazing as well . . no David Copperfield illusions here . . . just himself and time and exposure to scrutiny . . .if it doesn't make you THINK about life and committment to a form and only makes you call him names then you are missing something

his "frozen in a block of ice" in new york trick was shown to be an illusion. no endurance whatsoever. it was on one of the "behind the magic" specials. body doubles and misdirection. sure, the london box seems more difficult to fake, but i guarantee you it was.

the only one i couldn't figure out was his "stand on a pole for a ridiculous amount of time" trick. i assume the long pants hid something that assisted his "endurance" up there.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Explain to me how Mr. Blaine is able to pull this off then. Seems pretty transparent (pun intended) to me.

glucose in his water
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Why do people call him an illusionist? He just sat in a box and starved himself. That can't even be considered dare devil stuff.

On top of it all, he didn't even finish his "stunt"

I hope he ****ing DIES in hospital - see how long he can keep that up.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I hope he ****ing DIES in hospital - see how long he can keep that up.

Maybe he'll die on Halloween...same as Houdini.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

glucose in his water

See. Transparent, just like I said.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

See. Transparent, just like I said.

He still sucks.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    as to why he did it...

<brits chime in here with corrections of further details>

SKY TV paid him $5Million and have had live non-stop coverage

(and you thought your TV was boring)
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Christ on a Stick. Is everyone on this board so jaded that no one gets a little pit of thrill in their stomach from this? Has FOX's 'Magic Secrets Revealed' proved to you without a doubt that No Magic Exists? Is there nothing *anyone* can do do awe you anymore?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Sorry but sitting in a box for 44 days does not induce awe and it is not magic. Sure he has some cool street tricks and they are neat. There are also a lot of other magicians out there that do some pretty neat things. So Blaine, in my mind, is nothing special.