I need to vent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What a scary and miserable week for me and the family. On monday my son turned 3. He woke up with a belly ache and fever. We asumed it was a virus but called the doctor to be sure. She said not to worry he would be fine with rest and some asprin. Well this lasts until thursday and the doctor is now unavailable. I come home from work early and take him to the emergency room. We spend 5 hours there until they decide to admit him because his sodium levels are dangerously low. It turns out he has Salmonella poisoning and is in very serious condition. We spend the weekend in the hospital where my poor little guy poked and prodded and has such bad problems he was bleeding when he went to the bathroom. I have never been so scared in my life and this is coming from a guy who has had to use a reserve chute skydiving. He is home now and still in rough shape but he should be fine in a couple of weeks. Oh here is the kicker. Right before I left the office on thursday I was informed that due to reorganization I have until December 1 to find another job either inside or outside my company because my position will no longer be needed. Anyone hiring?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    That sucks dude, good luck. I hope all turns out well.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Glad to hear that the outcome is positive . . . I can understand now that I have a daughter, what knd of a hell you have been going through . . .

well, now you will be extra carefull about eating!!

Good luck on the job search . . . at least this didn't happen after six montes on the market and with no health insurance\
  • Reply 3 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Maybe its a cruel thing to say but if you had to lose on of the two you got the lucky straw.\
  • Reply 4 of 18
    The job market is on the upside, so I imagine you'll find something. What do you do? I'm in the signal processing / RF / analog / sensors area of EE and am looking for a job. There's actually quite a bit out there in my field.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The job market is on the upside, . . .

• Reply 6 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I have a new job and were adding a new position (please god let them hire someone new) in the next 6 months. Plus my wife is leaving the work force so that's another job open.

Good luck GreggWSmith. When I was a kid I had a bad run with pneumonia. My wife was ill too when she was a kid. We're both okay now
  • Reply 7 of 18
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

What a scary and miserable week for me and the family. On monday my son turned 3. He woke up with a belly ache and fever. We asumed it was a virus but called the doctor to be sure. She said not to worry he would be fine with rest and some asprin. Well this lasts until thursday and the doctor is now unavailable. I come home from work early and take him to the emergency room. We spend 5 hours there until they decide to admit him because his sodium levels are dangerously low. It turns out he has Salmonella poisoning and is in very serious condition. We spend the weekend in the hospital where my poor little guy poked and prodded and has such bad problems he was bleeding when he went to the bathroom. I have never been so scared in my life and this is coming from a guy who has had to use a reserve chute skydiving. He is home now and still in rough shape but he should be fine in a couple of weeks. Oh here is the kicker. Right before I left the office on thursday I was informed that due to reorganization I have until December 1 to find another job either inside or outside my company because my position will no longer be needed. Anyone hiring?

My prayers are with you..I know how you feel. I won't elaborate on my version of living hell....I just hope above all that your son is on the mend.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    This was bad, but I am glad the little guy will be OK. I have three kids myself (9 years, 7 years, and 18 months old) and I never feel more sick at heart than when one of them is sick. It is so hard to watch and not to be able to 'make it better' like they need and want.

And I wish you the best in your search for a job.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

If you hold a job that's replaceable by automation, yeah, you're not going to have luck. But nobody has figured out how to get a computer to design antennas and analog circuitry yet.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    [trying to make minor edit on previous post, but goofed and posted again]
  • Reply 11 of 18
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

[trying to make minor edit on previous post, but goofed and posted again]

Welcome to Dyslexia.......Love from

LIz Dexia
  • Reply 12 of 18
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I'm happy that it all turned out well. Say your son my best wishes and I hope for you that you get a new job soon.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I had salmonella poisoning once. It's very true when they list one of the symptoms of the ailment to be "Conviction that one is going to die." I certainly felt that way. Permanently camped out on the toilet for two days.

Don't wish that suffering on anyone, especially a 3 yr old. I imagine because of the delay forcing an emergency room visit you are going to have to pay a buttload more in co-pays. We've had that happen to us several times, so now we just take the kids in to the doc on the mere suspicion of sickness. I wonder if some bean counter has figured out that such policies actually result in more insurance claims. Bastards!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Blood when you went to the toilets = always bad (not talking of hemorroids or very few blood). Blood in shit requires a shit analysis. For the non bloody diarhea : after 5 days you should practice an analysis. Be sure that there is no deshydratation. My elder girl did have one : diarrhéa and nausea. We tried to get it under control, but as she could not eat nothing during 3 days, she have acetone in her blood, and acetone make vomit. Thus she was deshydrated. She was kept in the hospital for two days, with perfusion of water and glucose and everything was fixed.

I think that your son is not anymore in danger, because he return home. I would have been scared too, even if both of my wife and me are doctors.

I wonder if Doctors in hospital tend to exagerate by the fear of trials ? They should just say : the problem is serious , but there is great chances of sucess.

I wish you to find soon, a new job. I have a bad years also for various reasons, but everything seems to be fixed now.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Keep your chin up Gregg. Hopefully everything will work out for you and the little tyke.

What line of work are you looking for? Is relocation an option (outside of Texas I mean)? A few details might help someone here in terms of being able to PM you a lead...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Blood when you went to the toilets = always bad. Blood in shit requires a shit analysis.

Thanks for the new sig, Powerdoc!

• Reply 17 of 18
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Keep your chin up I know how you feel. My now 3yr old daughter was in and out of hospitals way too often when she was younger she is fine now. At the same time I was laid off and had to do landscaping for almost a year until I found another job.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I want to thank all of you for the great support of a fairly new member. The little guy is doing much better. The job front is scary though. I work for a wireless device manufacturer (the biggest) so you can guess easily. I currently manage a group that handles all the scrap and recycling for the Americas region. I have 14 years experience in the wireless industry and a 5 with my current company. Any leads would be great. I am used to lots of international travel and relocation for the the right job is not an issue. I moved my family a little over a year ago from Tampa to Dallas and we can move again if needed.

Thanks again!

Gregg