saw 'the shining' for the first time last night

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Kubrick's or Kubrik's or however the spelling is done. 1980.

not a huge movie watcher, but i was still pretty surprised i hadn't seen this one (spare the first 15 minutes a long time ago). pretty interesting movie, though the music & sound effects were over-the-top cheesy and the photography was a little film-schooly (maybe i'm too critical for someone who doesn't watch many films?)

anyhow, it was neat to see a horror movie that had a little more to it than the usual horror stuff. lots of stuff i didn't understand, and i assume that is because I didn't read the book. seemed to be some kind of native american symbolization going on.

anyhow, in preparation for halloween, everyone go rent this one!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    that movie is interesting, because it tanked when it came out. cable and video saved it's legacy.

i saw a poll once asking movie viewers who their favorite horror stars were and nicholson was in the top five, this was before "witches of eastwick" so presumably it was based on his work in "the shining".

as to why it tanked, it was the height of the slasher movie craze and perhaps no one wanted to see a psychological thriller, plus word was out stanley had drastically changed the ending (for good reason i think) and king fans resisted it.

but it has great scenes that have resonated through the years (heeere's johnny!) and even on these boards. (all work and no play make jack a dull boy)

my favorite scene is the bathroom scene with the butler.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Kubrick has done a lot of great films, and I even love THE SHINING. It's a well done horror film, if you like being scared rather than just gore.

Not related directly, but since Halloween is coming, I'll recommend BLACK CHRISTMAS. It heavily influence HALLOWEEN, a Carpenter masterpiece. I love John Carpenter.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i really liked this one too. i hadn't seen it until only a few weeks ago. all Kubrick's movies are so great. also whats pretty good is the Simpsons spin on this one. i saw part of the new one, with that dood from wings, and i didn't much care for it. he can't compare to nicholson. i haven't actually read the book, but apparently the remake (with the wings guy) has king's ending.

"That that's odd. The blood usually gets off at the second floor."
  • Reply 4 of 10
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i really liked this one too. i hadn't seen it until only a few weeks ago. all Kubrick's movies are so great. also whats pretty good is the Simpsons spin on this one. i saw part of the new one, with that dood from wings, and i didn't much care for it. he can't compare to nicholson. i haven't actually read the book, but apparently the remake (with the wings guy) has king's ending.

"That that's odd. The blood usually gets off at the second floor."

Homer: No beer and no tv make homer something something.

Marge: Go Crazy?

Homer: DON'T MIND IF I DO! BLAAAAAAHHHH AHHHHHHH!!!

• Reply 5 of 10
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    The King version vs. the Kubrick version in 20 seconds:

King: Nice dad gets possessed, goes insane

Kubrick: Jackass stepdad goes insane

King: Hotel & Dad ESplodes, Mom, kid and old man escape

Kubrick: Old Man gets axed, Mom and kid escape, Stepdad popcicle

...or something like that

Screed ...truth-be-told, I have only seen the TV-friendly cut (as opposed to the theartrical version)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

The King version vs. the Kubrick version in 20 seconds:

King: Nice dad gets possessed, goes insane

Kubrick: Jackass stepdad goes insane

King: Hotel & Dad ESplodes, Mom, kid and old man escape

Kubrick: Old Man gets axed, Mom and kid escape, Stepdad popcicle

...or something like that

Screed ...truth-be-told, I have only seen the TV-friendly cut (as opposed to the theartrical version)

The axing of the old man was interesting. It sort of nullified his whole purpose of character, though. I mean...they never even knew he was there until he was a corpse.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Agreed. It didn't go over with me though I like the film very much. The fact that he traveled all that way and got axed without even getting near the mother and son made it come off like a punch-line to a poorly executed joke.

"I'm here!" Whack! Ha ha. Screed -> \

I wager that, to King, it was insult to injury.

Screed
  • Reply 8 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Agreed. It didn't go over with me though I like the film very much. The fact that he traveled all that way and got axed without even getting near the mother and son made it come off like a punch-line to a poorly executed joke.

"I'm here!" Whack! Ha ha. Screed -> \

I wager that, to King, it was insult to injury.

Screed

Did King have a lot of negative thoughts towards this movie? I never really heard.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Speaking of King book/movies what did you all think of the Dreamcatcher movie? Is it me or was the ending to the movie whack? I'll reread the book, but I could have sworn I didn't read that Dudduts was some alien being or something like that.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Did King have a lot of negative thoughts towards this movie? I never really heard.

i think he liked the fact that the check cleared.

he did let abc redo it in mini-series form and unbelievably king (who wrote the teleplay) created an even worse ending than kubrick or the book. i won't ruin it, but if king fans were dismayed that kubrick altered the ending i wonder what they thought when they saw what mr. king did to it.

but it does prove my point the ending to the book is untenable cinematically. apparently king came to that conclusion when writing the teleplay.

i've never heard him dish on a movie of one of his stories, i've heard him say "well that's not how i'd have done it." or words to that effect.

as an author he's been very fortunate by hollywood's treatment of his films, for the most part.

he's also allowed a few of his stories be filmed more than once.