Sim City 4, Slow?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been contemplating picking up the latest Sim City, but after reading through the software forums, it would seem I should think twice about it due to slowness of the game. Anyone tried it yet on the latest released powerbooks? I've got the 1.3 17" model. I still hesitate though hearing that some of the dual processor apples are even having issue with the game, especially once towns start to grow. Thanks for input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Simcity 4 isnt DP aware I think, so those MP Macs have no benefit. Your 1.33 GHz Powerbook should run it fine.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hah. Yeah right. This game doesn't run well no matter what Mac you have I hear. I have a PBG4 12" with NVIDIA GeForce 4 Go 32 VRAM and 640 megs RAM and I don't have anything else running and it plays like $hit. I hope Panther can eek 10% or so more performance out of games. Doesn't it have a newer OpenGL?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    It's slowish on my GhzTi, but very playable.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    SC4 ran acceptably, considering, on an iBook 900.

On my Dual G5 w/9800 it flys and I can max out settings.

Its not a multi CPU aware app, but the second processor can still help with other background tasks and OS / Library routines. The fast GPU doesn't hurt either.

Did I mention I am running it on a 20" Cinema display in native resolution?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    What is playable to one person is totally unplayable to another. I was playing it on a Rev A 12" PB - 867MHz - and had a city with 60,000 I was still playing. Lots of lag, details turned pretty much all the way down, but I hadn't given up.

I would say I am pretty patient in life however...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Its really slow for me too <12"PB> but Its playable if your patient.

wasn't there a patch or some code jimmying that would speed it up?

flick.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

wasn't there a patch or some code jimmying that would speed it up?

Only for a specific video card that made it practically unplayable at all. The patch was a simple one-line fix that pointed a config file to the correct graphics card drivers.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Anyone try with panther yet? I haven't.