Dialect question to Britons

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How I love the Scottish accent. With one exception, Sir Alex Ferguson. Can anyone here tell me from where Alex Ferguson gets his dialect? I must admit he's very difficult to understand. Then you hear people like George Robertson, Greme Souness, Charles Kennedy to name just a few and they all speak (IMO) in such a beautiful English dialect.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kelib,

Sir Alex is from the Glasgow area (Govan, I think), which has quite a harsh sounding accent which to the untrained ear can be much harder to understand than accents from other parts of the country. Anyone who's seen 'Rab C Nesbit' will know what I mean .

Hope this helps .

Dave.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

kelib,

Sir Alex is from the Glasgow area (Govan, I think), which has quite a harsh sounding accent which to the untrained ear can be much harder to understand than accents from other parts of the country. Anyone who's seen 'Rab C Nesbit' will know what I mean .

Hope this helps .

Dave.

Thanks mate, yes it helps
  • Reply 3 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Yep, he's from Govan alright.

Govan's about a mile and a half down the road from me, on the South side of Glasgow.

I personally think that Fifers have the broadest (and one of the most endearing accents). Also check out the Aberdonian and Shetland Islanders accents - very cool.

How come we have so many different accents squashed together in such a small country?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Mr McKelib! The thing ye must understand aboot the Scottish accent is that this is how God intended language tae be spoken in the first place and that every other mode o' pronunciation is but a deviation and corruption frae this initial perfection. The maist pure, angelic enunciation comes - o' coorse - frae the Western Isles, but frae Hebrides tae Hawick (including Glesca) the overall tone o' this maist mellifluous o' nations is nothing short o' divine. May I also say that I once met Sir Alex in Park Circus a few years ago and - going by his linguistic mannerisms and unique timbre - I micht hae been conversing wi' Gabriel himsel'.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

Mr McKelib! The thing ye must understand aboot the Scottish accent is that this is how God intended language tae be spoken in the first place and that every other mode o' pronunciation is but a deviation and corruption frae this initial perfection. The maist pure, angelic enunciation comes - o' coorse - frae the Western Isles, but frae Hebrides tae Hawick (including Glesca) the overall tone o' this maist mellifluous o' nations is nothing short o' divine. May I also say that I once met Sir Alex in Park Circus a few years ago and - going by his linguistic mannerisms and unique timbre - I micht hae been conversing wi' Gabriel himsel'.