Psychological barrier to buying a Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been browsing ebay for cheap ibooks.. but a 500mhz ibook is going to cost me $650. The problem is that I'm coming from the PC world and I have a psychological barrier to moving backwards in Mhz. Anybody else have this problem? I have a 600 mhz Celeron, so I can't bring myself back to a 500 mhz computer. I can see moving up to 800 or 900 mhz, but then you're talking $1200+ dollars...

Hmm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, you should know that x86 MHz don't equal ppc MHz. there aren't any easy translations either. in general, X MHz on an x86 is slower than X MHz on a ppc. if you are near an apple store or retailer, you can try out your target ibook, and see for yourself just how much MHz matters.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I think a 500MHz G3 is faster than a 600MHz Celeron, although if you plan on running OS X, you may want something faster than a 500MHz G3. How much do old G4 PowerBooks go for on eBay?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

I think a 500MHz G3 is faster than a 600MHz Celeron, although if you plan on running OS X, you may want something faster than a 500MHz G3. How much do old G4 PowerBooks go for on eBay?

Most of the time you can find one cheaper if you go to Apple directly and get one refurbished...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    500MHz G3 will run OS 9 fast. 500MHz will run OS X decently (it should be pretty decent with panther though ) I will say that you should put more ram in if you want it to run OS X well as you already have the disadvantage of your processor.

I'm not sure how old you are so I don't know how valid this is, but check out Apple's refurbished stuff in their online store. This hopefully will link you there.

I do think (not sure with panther) that OS X will probably have a perceived slowness compared to windows on your 600 celeron (though I only know window in a 600 P3)

Good luck and as much as I almost made it sound bad...I am positive once you use it you will love it.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Just convince yourself that it's actually a PowerPC G3 800+ instead of a G3 500Mhz.

Hell, it works for AMD.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Why not just save a little and get a refurbished from apple...700Mhz for 729, 800mhz $799, 900MHz $999

Those are pretty good deals I think, if I hadn't recently spend too much on my PowerBook I'd have gotten one of those.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    A 500mhz G3 would not only cream a 600mhz Celery, it would cream a 1ghz Celery.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by SolidStick

Mine does 8)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What about a 1GHz Celery box beats a DUAL GHZ G4 on web surfing/page rendering?