Applications broken by Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Tomorrow's P-Day, so I thought I'd start this thread before I get and install the predator on my comp. "Developers" will already be able to fill in some blanks, everybody else will be come tomorrow.

The big dripping question I have: what applications (versions of applications) are broken by Panther, for all things point to a rather hefty range.

e.g. I hear Toast Titanium only works from version 6.0.1 upwards.

What about other big ones (the Photoshops and Offices of this world) and smaller ones?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    small graphical glitches in poisoned re: the search bar
  • Reply 2 of 110
    I'm pretty lucky, got my copy already. Haven't had time to do a clean install.

My machine is a 1GHZ G4 with 768MB

Illustrator 10 - images take a long time to "place" usually waited 10 seconds for an average size image, now it's a good minute.

iTunes: A pathetic 11 frames per second frame rate for full screen visualls (geforce mx 4 on 20" cinema

Haven;t tried anything else yet.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

iTunes: A pathetic 11 frames per second frame rate for full screen visualls (geforce mx 4

Heh. Averaging 60 fps here on full-screen, peaking into the 70s, on an ancient original AGP Radeon 32 MB. (edit: I guess I should mention that I use the faster-but-rougher option)

SNES9X breaks in 10.3 and stalls upon launch. You can get it to work by launching the app via dragging-and-dropping the ROM file onto the app icon.

Apple's Backup is broken, claiming "An unrecoverable internal error has occurred," but I expect a small update for it very soon.

I've tried a wide variety of apps and games and everything else works fine. Classic OpenGL games seem to have gotten a nice performance boost.
  • Reply 4 of 110
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What about Office?
  • Reply 5 of 110
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Someone on another board suggested that the Cisco VPN client (the graphical version) doesn't play well with Panther. Can anyone confirm or deny this (hopefully deny, since if it doesn't work I'll be somewhat inconvenienced...unless the built-in VPN can do the job, something I'm not banking on).
  • Reply 6 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What about Office?

Runs fine here, just be sure to have all the updates. VPC 6 is somewhat slower though and while it opens and quit iTunes skips, something it never did in 10.2...
  • Reply 7 of 110
    So far no problems to report here.

Except when I first installed I couldn't type in web addresses in Safari, but that was fixed by just deleting the preferences file.
  • Reply 8 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Apple's Backup is broken, claiming "An unrecoverable internal error has occurred," but I expect a small update for it very soon.

Backup 2.0 works. 1.2.3 hasn't worked in any versions of 10.3 that I've tried. Unfortunately BackUp 2 is beta. Hopefully a final version will be out soon.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Someone on another board suggested that the Cisco VPN client (the graphical version) doesn't play well with Panther. Can anyone confirm or deny this (hopefully deny, since if it doesn't work I'll be somewhat inconvenienced...unless the built-in VPN can do the job, something I'm not banking on).

I also use the Cisco VPN client. I'm sure they'll update it after Panther is released if it is broken as you say. Now that Panther comes with it's own VPN software though, I'm hoping I won't need to use Cisco.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

Backup 2.0 works.

Ah!! I knew I was forgetting something! I completely forgot about the 2.0 beta. *scampers off to download*
  • Reply 11 of 110
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    An app I use a lot: Thoth. Any word on what version 1.7.1 does under Panther?
  • Reply 12 of 110
    i cannot get ghost recon to work - it starts up, but once you select to play a game or change your settings it crashes.... arrgghh
  • Reply 13 of 110
    Ghost Recon works for me.

Are you using the latest version? Have you tried reinstalling it? Repaired permissions? Et cetera with the usual fixes.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    The PPTP VPN Client that shipped with Jaquar no longer works for me.
  • Reply 15 of 110
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ah!! I knew I was forgetting something! I completely forgot about the 2.0 beta. *scampers off to download*

man, when i read that first post, all my thoughts of a clean install whent OUT THE WINDOW.....

thank gawd that the 2 beta works...otherwise I would have to be backing up myself, takes the same amount of time, but I like it when a program does it for me
  • Reply 16 of 110
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    VectorWorks doesn't work, but a beta to patch it should be out soon.
  • Reply 17 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Tomorrow's P-Day, so I thought I'd start this thread before I get and install the predator on my comp. "Developers" will already be able to fill in some blanks, everybody else will be come tomorrow.

The big dripping question I have: what applications (versions of applications) are broken by Panther, for all things point to a rather hefty range.

What about other big ones (the Photoshops and Offices of this world) and smaller ones?

• Reply 18 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Design Tools Monthly says that FontReserve's Classic Activator is broken in Panther. This was confirmed to me by an Extensis tech. He was, however, evasive when I asked him if there would be an updater issued, or whether I should go ahead and cross / up-grade to Suitcase X1.
  • Reply 19 of 110
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I was unpleasantly suprised to find out that Final Cut Pro 3 will not install onto Panther.
  • Reply 20 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

What board?(just trying to repair because I cant get the command line version to work)