iChat is making me crazy!!!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I see my wife online and I ask for a video chat. She clicks the accept button and it a few seconds later we get the error that she did not respond! We reverse the process and it says I did not respond! WTF!!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I've been getting that too with audio chats with a friend of mine, she is behind a firewall and so am I, but my firewall doesn't interfere with audio chats with other friends, so I think it's on her side, unfortunately it's a school network she is on so it may not be easy to fix.

but anyone that has any input to this problem PLEASE help us out
  • Reply 2 of 9
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I've been getting that too with audio chats with a friend of mine, she is behind a firewall and so am I, but my firewall doesn't interfere with audio chats with other friends, so I think it's on her side, unfortunately it's a school network she is on so it may not be easy to fix.

but anyone that has any input to this problem PLEASE help us out

Unplug the camera from the computer (not the camera from the cable), wait a minute or so, and plug it back in. At least that's what fixed it for me.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Most likely a firewall problem, check and see if port 5190 is open. I even looked it up for ya'll...check this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

It'll tell you all the ports you need open and other fixes for problems that you might be having.

If the first page doesn't answer your questions, check here: http://www.info.apple.com/usen/ichat/
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Nothing like that, but I do have an issue where for absolutely no freggin' reason, iChat AV will open up on its own. What is with *that*?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Digital Hub or Genius Bar? Hmm.

Genius Bar. Moving now...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommy_thompson

Nothing like that, but I do have an issue where for absolutely no freggin' reason, iChat AV will open up on its own. What is with *that*?

If someone IMs you and you are online with iChat closed it will automatically open for you.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Its not that, it just launches on its own. I am connected to the net, but iChat is not on in any way. iChat does not go online, nothing, just launches and sits there.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    did you install ichatav before plugging in an isight camera? my guess is that ichatav opens the appropriate port for video conferencing if it sees an isight attached during installation, but might not if it is simply added later. it may also be your wife's network.

case in point;

my wife and i use msn messenger to chat with each other while she is at school. it works for simpel chat back and forth, but to exchange files, you need to have the right port available (under firewall tab in the sharing preferences, and then clikc "new..." msn messenger is one of the presets that is disabled until you tell it otherwise). but i still can't transfer files to her, because while her computer is set up to allow for msn file transfer, the network she is connected to is not.

if either of you have a laptop, plug it into the other with a crossover ethernet cable (or if they both hav gigabit ethernet, you can use any plain ol' cable). if ichat av works between the two of you on that one-to-one network, then you know it's a firewall issue, either on your end or hers.

p.s. isn't ichat av still beta? just curious...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    for the randomly opening ichat - check to see if it's an item in your login items in sys prefs. that happened to me once too right after i put it in there. i took it out later and it hasn't happened since. not sure why it did that or if that'll work, but give it a shot.