Panther installation

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Not sure if this has been addressed in a different thread but I figure it's important enough given the coming release to make it clear. Is it better to install Panther fresh and reformat everything or to just install it over Jaguar.

I'm asking because I used to be a PC user and it was always better to do a fresh install versus an over the top install.

I use my mac for high end audio work so I want it running as good as possible.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    i would like to know too as im in the same boat except i do high end audio and video
  • Reply 2 of 14
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    When Jaguar came out, some people were reporting snappier performance after doing an archive and install or an erase and install, rather than just an update. I'd recommend at least going the archive route. If you have the spare time, doing a backup, then erase and install might be even better, but it requires a lot of painstaking restoration of files from your backup, and reinstallation of applications. That's the route I'm going to take. I can make the time, once a year, for a complete backup, erase and install.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    A lot of time could be saved with a clean install to reinstall back-upped preference files. In OS 9.

But what about OSX ? Does it work the same (smooth) way ?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

A lot of time could be saved with a clean install to reinstall back-upped preference files. In OS 9.

But what about OSX ? Does it work the same (smooth) way ?

I've heard but I'm not sure that one should do a clean install of the new OS and copy your old prefrence/user folder into the new os.

Not sure if thats exactly how ur suppose to do it i'm looking for the answer of this myself...perhaps this thread should have been titled a little better. If not i'll ask the guys at the genius bar.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Panther's install is VERY different from earlier OS X installs. After having seen, in person, people install Panther final over Jaguar (an upgrade install), I was very impressed. All your settings are copied over, you apps arn't messed around, it really is very good.

If you are currently running Jaguar, for top convenience I would recommend doing an upgrade install.

I tried installing Panther final over 7B53, and it crashed though. Can't have everything I guess.

BY THE WAY.... the new animation is SO cool when you've installed the OS!

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

I've heard but I'm not sure that one should do a clean install of the new OS and copy your old prefrence/user folder into the new os.

Not sure if thats exactly how ur suppose to do it i'm looking for the answer of this myself...perhaps this thread should have been titled a little better. If not i'll ask the guys at the genius bar.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend moving all your preferences over. That has caused wonky behavior in the past. I did a clean install and just copied my mail preferences over. That seemed to work ok. I need to clear off my HD anyway. Too much junk (read: MS software) that I didn't need anymore.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Panther's install is VERY different from earlier OS X installs. After having seen, in person, people install Panther final over Jaguar (an upgrade install), I was very impressed. All your settings are copied over, you apps arn't messed around, it really is very good.

If you are currently running Jaguar, for top convenience I would recommend doing an upgrade install.

I tried installing Panther final over 7B53, and it crashed though. Can't have everything I guess.

BY THE WAY.... the new animation is SO cool when you've installed the OS!

Barto

But is it not better to do a clean install?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

But is it not better to do a clean install?

No one can answer this for you. Apple would probably say it's not necessary. If you have the time, I'd say yes, it's probably better.

As for doing an erase and install and then copying all your old preferences back, I'd say you'd be defeating the purpose of a clean install. When I do an erase and install, the only thing I copy from the backup are my documents. I painstakingly take the time to reinsall my software and readjust preferences. It takes several hours initially and then for me, it's usually an additional week before everything seems completely normal again.

Ultimately you need to decide if you think it's worth it. I erase and install with every major upgrade, about once a year, because I have the time and it's no big deal. Others would say it's too much work and not worth the time. You can always do an upgrade install and if you think you're not getting the best performance, go back and try either an archive install or an erase install.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    yeah its that having to reinstall all my apps parts thats nagging me.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    My advice, just go the upgrade route. Boot from the Panther CD, run Disk Utility to repair permissions and upgrade. Upgrading should give you no problems unless you have messed with your system with third party hacks.

By going the upgrade route you will be saving yourself a LOT of time. If and only if you find yourself having problems you can not resolve such has having to upgrade certain Apps anyway, should you look to other methods of installation.

A clean install is always best, but certainly not necessary. Doing a clean install has certain drawbacks as well, you are basically staring from scratch when you do that. Why go through all that trouble it if it isn't necessary in the first place?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

yeah its that having to reinstall all my apps parts thats nagging me.

For you I think the answer is "archive and install." It'll give you a nice clean system without the need to reinstall your apps.

I completely agree with iPeon. I only go the difficult route on my own computer because I'm kind of anal. It's not really necessary.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Whether to do the upgrade install or archive install or even "wipe" install is really depending on your system

On my family member's machine I just did the upgrade install since their systems are very "clean" and don't have much stuff in there. They have zero problems.

However, my system is a different story. I did the upgrade install but it turn out the machine can't boot at all.

I later have to boot the machine in OS 9 and copy all my user settings and application supports files to another drive. Did the "wipe" install on that OS X partition. And my machine booted...I then move all my settings back to my directory.

My SlowSilver? was running 10.1, then I did the upgrade install to 10.2....then after many OS updates, software updates, drivers etc etc.....that maybe why it got f*cked up after the straight Panther upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Yeah. . . Panther's upgrade is pretty seamless. . . .

ADC Select. . .
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

My SlowSilver? was running 10.1, then I did the upgrade install to 10.2....then after many OS updates, software updates, drivers etc etc.....that maybe why it got f*cked up after the straight Panther upgrade.

I had the same problem when I installed Jaguar. It would not re-boot after installation. I ran Disk Utility and it found and fixed a bunch of errors as well as repaired permissions here and there. I had OS X Beta installed at one time. I then re-installed Jaguar and it has been running rock solid for me. My Mac is a 350 MHz G4 with OS 9 as it's original OS. I have never done a clean install on my Mac and it works just fine. I've read posts stating that iTunes skips or that Safari does this and that, I've never had any of those problems. My motto is to not mess with system files, stay away from apps that hack the system, keep it clean and you will not have problems.