New G4 iBooks Shipping!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I love apple. I just bought my iBook (no extras) at 5:00 P.M. Wednesday, and less than twelve hours later at 3:00 A.M. Thursday it's shipping. Strange thing is that on the Fed Ex tracking says they are shipping from Taoyuan, Taiwan. Think it'll make it in five days? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by beaverclea

I love apple. I just bought my iBook (no extras) at 5:00 P.M. Wednesday, and less than twelve hours later at 3:00 A.M. Thursday it's shipping. Strange thing is that on the Fed Ex tracking says they are shipping from Taoyuan, Taiwan. Think it'll make it in five days? \

Possibly, but you may be unlucky and hit it shipping through the weekend, when things tend to stand still...

Congrats and good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    Here is how my powerbook 12" g4 got here from Taiwan with "standard 5 day shipping." I was very very happy with fedex. Note that all times are local. It got here 1 day ahead of fedex's estimated delivery date and 1 week before apple's estimated ship date!!

Oct 16, 2003

7:54 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery

7:49 am Arrived at FedEx Destination Location

7:26 am Left FedEx Ramp PHILADELPHIA PA

5:57 am Arrived at FedEx Ramp PHILADELPHIA PA

3:54 am Left FedEx Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN

12:01 am Arrived at Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN

Oct 15, 2003

10:39 pm Package status C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW In transit

8:12 pm Left FedEx Ramp C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW

2:47 pm Left FedEx Sort Facility ANCHORAGE AK

Oct 14, 2003

10:38 pm Arrived at FedEx Ramp TA YUAN HSIANG TW

4:01 pm Left FedEx Origin Location TAOYUAN CITY TW

2:05 pm Pickup status TAOYUAN CITY TW Package received after FedEx cutoff time
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by uyman

Here is how my powerbook 12" g4 got here from Taiwan with "standard 5 day shipping." I was very very happy with fedex. Note that all times are local. It got here 1 day ahead of fedex's estimated delivery date and 1 week before apple's estimated ship date!!

Oct 16, 2003

7:54 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery

7:49 am Arrived at FedEx Destination Location

7:26 am Left FedEx Ramp PHILADELPHIA PA

5:57 am Arrived at FedEx Ramp PHILADELPHIA PA

3:54 am Left FedEx Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN

12:01 am Arrived at Sort Facility INDIANAPOLIS IN

Oct 15, 2003

Oct 14, 2003

thats what my fedex tracking looked like in the days after my powerbook shipped

mine actually arrived and was signed for the day before they estimated, but due to the screwy way my university handles packages, i wasn't able to get the machine until the next day

i was not a happy camper, staring at a fedex site that said delievered and not having the PB in my hands.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Thanks for the shipping info, I could see it arriving by Friday, which would be really awesome. Going to the apple store and instead of waiting in line to touch one of the new ibooks, I would already have my own.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by uyman

Oct 15, 2003

Oct 14, 2003

Seems kinda weird... on 10/14, it leaves Ta Yuan Hsiang, Taiwan, next entry it arrives in Anchorage, next entry it's back in Taiwan (Chiang Kai Shek airport, Taipei).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    Yeah, that's cause by the time it gets to Alaska, it's 2:47 pm local time. Trust me, I watched it the whole way . TaoYuan is 15 minutes from Chang Kai Shek Airport (the main airport in TaiPei). So at 10:39 pm it left Taiwan and then by the time it reached Alaska it was 2:47 pm.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Well shiznits, they tried to deliver the new iBook to me today at 9:00 A.M., but I was at class. Not bad though ordered Wed 5P.M. and delivered Friday 9:A.M. that's less than 72 hours, from Taiwan to Houston. Pretty impressive. I called Fed Ex and requested that they re-attempt delivery.

Actually now that I have read some posts about a possible 10% discount at apple stores tonight with the release of Panther, I'm don't want the iBook immediately. That way I won't be tempted to open the new box, and I can return the iBook that I bought over the net with no penalty. Then tonight I could possibly score an iBook + 10% discount. Sweet!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    IT'S HERE. THE FED EX just came with it. YAAAHHH!!! It came in a very plain looking cardboard box, I'm assuming underneath is the real apple box. Hmmm, now I am just sooo tempted to open it just to stare and play with it. But then again I want to wait and see if tonight the apple store here in houston is going to give me a 10% night of panther discount + edu. discount. PLEASE? I must not open must not open.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    I would be very curious to hear from the first lucky owners of the computer. I think that the low end i-book is an excellent machine for system administrators and the like, and after I have returned my 15 inch Powerbook which has developed the case of the "white spots" twice, I am thinking of getting the 12 inch I-Book.

So, I-Book G4 owners. Speak out.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by beaverclea

IT'S HERE. THE FED EX just came with it. YAAAHHH!!! It came in a very plain looking cardboard box, I'm assuming underneath is the real apple box. Hmmm, now I am just sooo tempted to open it just to stare and play with it. But then again I want to wait and see if tonight the apple store here in houston is going to give me a 10% night of panther discount + edu. discount. PLEASE? I must not open must not open.

Well- panther is here...could you please post pics of the iBook/Box? I'm interested to see if there are many cosmetic changes? Someone said the keyboard matches the case better?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Well- panther is here...could you please post pics of the iBook/Box? I'm interested to see if there are many cosmetic changes? Someone said the keyboard matches the case better?

take a virtual look here.

they don't label them, so the new iBook is the first one on row two.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I agree there doesn't seem to be many new ibook owners out there. For a while i thought I was the only one.

Overall Appearance

Really seems to be a combination of the older crystal 600 ibook models and the later 900 opaque models in terms of design. The outside shell is opaque white, identical to the 900 ibook. On the inside, the trim around the keyboard, the area around the lcd, the touchpad, and the keyboard, are pretty much the same opaque plastic light gray look. On my old 600 ibook, I liked the contrast between the semi clear keyboard and the silvery plastic on the palmrests. But this is good as well

Keyboard.

Keys are opaque light gray. Interesting thing, i was popping up the keyboard to install the airport extreme, and I noticed beneath the keyboard was a new light aluminum corrugated sheet that added extra support, so that the keyboard didn't give as much especially around the center. I think it is overall the same keyboard though. No problems with it.

Trackpad.

I had a problem with my 600 ibook trackpad being too sensitive so that it would random place the cursor somewhere else while I was typing. Now that no longer happens.

The slot loading cdrw/dvd is great, it's just easier to pop in a cd when needed. One thing that I loved about my old 600 ibook was the all in one tv hook up. It was one single audio video cable that I could easily hook up to the tv simply. Now the whole process is involves too many costly cords and adapters.

ibook (for video) -> video adapter ($19) -> s-video cable -> tv

ibook (for audio) -> isplitter ($9) -> audio cable ->tv

So far, i've had it for half a week, and the battery life is consistently pulling 4 hours on regular use and screen on 75% brightness. The lcd from what i've heard is exactly the same, but I've compared it to my old 600 ibook, and this one seems a bit brighter and whiter as well. My lcd came with one broken pixel, but honestly i haven't noticed it since. I usually cant' even find it.

Performance

I had lots of fun comparing how the expose performs on the two ibooks, no comparison. On my 600 with only 8mb video ram the expose seems to freeze frame, it's not a smooth transition. I was a bit dissappointed on how the G4 performed in iphoto, b/c had the same problems of a really slow scrolling with a big 600 pic photo library (i know about the shareware, hopefully apple will fix this sooner or later). The overall performance is seems a bit snappier, but not amazingly so. After the fever of new ibook-mania wore off, the difference was not significant, for my non-intensive tasks. Once i play some new games, I'll probably appreciate it a bit more. For those who feared the G4 heat, this puppy really is no hotter than my old 600 ibook.

I didn't order the bluetooth (not enough bluetooth items that i actually use, and they're all expensive too), so I'm unable to say whether or not it's internal.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Well I just orded my 12 incher today. I got the internal bluetooth and I maxed out the ram. Hopefully it will show up some time late next week.

This is my first "new" computer. Wahoo!