Up2Date allow fresh install??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does the up-to-date program you get from apple allow fresh install of panther? I heard last years you could just delete a file and it worked fine, but this year, will they just allow a fresh install? Or do you have to install jag, then install panther? I hope i can do fresh instal.

Hope someone knows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    From what I've heard, the up-to-date CDs will allow you to do a full install, an archive install, or an upgrade install, provided you already have Jaguar installed. As long as Jaguar is on your computer, it'll work like normal install CDs - it checks when beginning the installation to see that you have 10.2, and then it will let you erase the hard drive and do a full, clean installation of 10.3 once you've done that. The only problem is if you have problems and need to do an archive install, you'd have to first archive install Jaguar and then archive install Panther.

It should be possible to remove the file "Check For OS X" and burn a copy of the modified disk image. This only needs to be done with the first CD. I can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth a try. This will make it so you can install it directly to any blank hard drive without first checking for Jaguar.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

It should be possible to remove the file "Check For OS X" and burn a copy of the modified disk image.

This only worked for 10.1. I've read that Apple wised up and "fixed" it better with 10.2.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    can i ask a dumb question-- what do i lose with a clean install? will i have to re-install all my apps, custom icons, and saved files?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    A clean install will wipe everything on your hard drive. If you want to salvage something you need to backup first. Alternatively, you could do an 'archive and install'. This will keep ALL the stuff in your home folder safe while moving your previous system elsewhere. In general, any apps that you installed that you had to type a password for will need to be reinstalled following this method. Other apps and settings will fine. I'd recommend this method first b/c it's easiest. If things seem wankier than you think they should be then a clean install may be in order.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    thanks for the info. i imagine it also wipes out OS9/classic files and apps as well? or does it not touch the OS9 partition for machines that can boot up in it?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

thanks for the info. i imagine it also wipes out OS9/classic files and apps as well? or does it not touch the OS9 partition for machines that can boot up in it?

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. If you do a clean install, it only affects the drive it's going on. If you've partitioned your HD, the other partition will be completely unaffected. This is one reason I like partitions. It gives me a place to put my stuff while I do a clean install.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Can you have select to overright the partion of os9? or how does that work. I want it all to be OSX on this comp. hehe
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

Can you have select to overright the partion of os9? or how does that work. I want it all to be OSX on this comp. hehe

well, the only way to merge partitions requires erasing ALL of them (on a specific physical drive). so make sure u do a thorough backup of both partitions. then, while booting off another disk (like the osx cd), go into the Disk Utility. One of the options there is format. before actually formatting, the number of partitions to make should be visible in like a drop-down-list or something similar. Make it 1. Remember to think through whether or not your backups are sufficiently thorough. Now format. You'll get one final warning with your last chance to backout. When your done, you can go back to the installer. It won't give you the archive or upgrade options, only a fresh install.

If you dont want to, or have the means to make backups (naughty you), you can just erase the os9 partition. Again, in Disk Utility, but don't go to the format section. On the left, iirc, should be a drive list, with partitions under that. Select the os9 partition, and then select the erase option. This can be done before or after the installation, since it won't affect it at all.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. If you do a clean install, it only affects the drive it's going on. If you've partitioned your HD, the other partition will be completely unaffected. This is one reason I like partitions. It gives me a place to put my stuff while I do a clean install.

hmm, good idea. (and no need for you to apologize.) so i can move all my files over to the OS9 partition temporarily? sounds good to me, since i have no way to back up my data other than by CD-RW, and i would need too many of those to make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    So am I correct to assume that I can only install the Up-To-Date version only if Jag is present? I am not totally worried about it since my AiBook qualified for it and I can just backup and do the install, but I was just curious.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

So am I correct to assume that I can only install the Up-To-Date version only if Jag is present? I am not totally worried about it since my AiBook qualified for it and I can just backup and do the install, but I was just curious.

You are correct. Jaguar must be present. You can still do an erase and install though after the installer detects 10.2 on the disk you're installing to.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    so who started the rumor that if you installed Panther, you couldnt boot into OS9 anymore?