Is it easy to install internal CDRW?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Not a techie, but I'm comfortable around inside my Sawtooth (i.e. installing RAM).

Looking to install an internal CDRW to replace the internal DVD and was wondering if it's as simple as it looks...plugging a few cables and making sure it's mounted properly.

Then installing any drivers and I'm good to go...right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Yup. Simple as that.

I replaced my internal DVD (in a dual 500) with a combo drive several months ago. I just swapped out the drives and it worked, no setup necessary. Just be sure you get a drive that is listed as compatible with Mac OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    yea, it is very easy. the only problem (I find) is sometimes the wires or screws are in not-easy-to-reach places. there should be a little room, where the dvd currently sits. basically, yank out its wires, unscrew it (if it wont budge), then pop in the new device and plug it all back.

one thing i forgot to mention, and its merely a precaution. in theory, you could build up enough static electricity (particularly if u have a carpet and are wearing wool), to shock the system. So, prior to handling the drives, or the inside of the computer, you should `ground' yourself, by touching a large piece of metal (thereby letting the charge into that hunk of metal). Lacking any plumbing pipes nearby, the chassis of the computer should suffice.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I haven't done yet, but looks easy.