OS X Font conversion tool?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there an OS X equivalent to Fontographer out there? Since Fontographer will not be ported to OS X, we'll need something to convert TrueType fonts to Type1. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    While Fontographer is still trapped in Classic has Macromedia said that they won't be updating it to OS X? I haven't heard anything officially from Macromedia stating that they won't bring it to OS X and I have heard talk of them working on it but it isn't high on their priority list.

If Macromedia doesn't bring Fontographer to OS X more people will swith over to FontLab. Some people have already switched over to FontLab (http://www.fontlab.com/html/fontlab.html) which offers several different font utilities at various prices. I believe that they do offer a demo that you can download. I haven't used FontLab under OS X so I can't comment on it but I did try a version of it under OS 8.6 a few years back and it was similiar to Fontographer but the interface was a little more confusing than Fontographer. Hopefully FontLab has fixed this in the latest version. If Macromedia doesn't get on the ball I too will have no choice but to jump ship and move over to FontLab.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

While Fontographer is still trapped in Classic has Macromedia said that they won't be updating it to OS X? I haven't heard anything officially from Macromedia stating that they won't bring it to OS X and I have heard talk of them working on it but it isn't high on their priority list.

We talked to Macromedia a few weeks ago and they said there were no plans to bring it to OS X. They said, "just use it in Classic mode" - yeah right!

I came upon FontLab today in my search and it looks to be a suitable substitute...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    How do you tell the difference between TrueType fonts and Type1 fonts? Do TrueType fonts not work in OS X? I have to deal with fonts at work and I don't know what I'm doing.

Alexander the Great
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

How do you tell the difference between TrueType fonts and Type1 fonts? Do TrueType fonts not work in OS X? I have to deal with fonts at work and I don't know what I'm doing.

Alexander the Great

Type 1 fonts are postscript fonts. They both work fine in OS X. I work in a publishing environment and the equipment we use to output RIPped pages will only give predictable results when using Type 1 fonts. You can tell the difference between the two fonts by the fact that a postscript font will always consist of a pair of files - one is the printer font and the other is the bitmap screen font. Both files are needed - one to represent the font onscreen and the other copntains the font metrics for output to a postscript printer. A TrueType font is only one file and the icon it has looks like the one that is the screen font in a postscript pair. In OS 9 and before the TrueType font icon had three Capital letter "A's" superimposed on eachother but now it appears that the bitmp screen font and the TrueType font share the same icon. Also, it might be noteworthy to mention that OS X also handles Windows TrueType fonts (but not Windows postscript)

Let me know if you have any more questions - I'd be glad to help.