Timing of G4 iBook is savvy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think Apple is firing on all cylinders these days. They're on a definite roll with iTMS and the success of the iPod.

And to top it off, the release of a G4 iBook days before the release of Panther is a brilliant move. Apple must have known that Panther was going to be sluggish on anything less than a G4.

So with Panther pre-installed, those who may have been sitting on the fence about spending $129 for the upgrade might very well just pick up a new G4 iBook.

No, saving $129 doesn't necessarily justify the purchase of a laptop, but it certainly an alluring combination for those in the market for one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I agree. Apple's still doomed though
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think it's more ingenius (sp?) that they released it right AFTER Windows iTunes. People will now go to Apple's web site to download it and see this $1100USD laptop. "Huh. Intriguing. Maybe I'll look at Apple's other hardware offerings."

30 minutes later they're buying an iMac. Clever.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I thought about that too.

some people may walk out with the iBook G4 with a brand new OS X pre-loaded then upgrading on some slow G3 Macs.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Apple is very good at using one product to seduce users into getting another product.

Personally I would love to have an iBook G4 I dunno if I could stand the 800x600 res though \ Still a sexy little beast non the less.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Apple is very good at using one product to seduce users into getting another product.

Personally I would love to have an iBook G4 I dunno if I could stand the 800x600 res though \ Still a sexy little beast non the less.

both the 12 and 14" models run native at 1024x768.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

both the 12 and 14" models run native at 1024x768.

which is still a joke for the 14"...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Haven't actually seen an iBook in a few years, huh?

• Reply 8 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

which is still a joke for the 14"...

Agreed.

If they wanted to push this 14" model (since the 12" maxs out at 800mhz), surely they could have tweaked the resolution.

Nothing drastic but similar to how the old PB Ti was refined.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The 800x600 thing went out with the toilet seat/clamshell/colored iBooks over two years ago.