Someone Help With FileVault, please?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed Panther today, and it is a great upgrade overall. However, I've had a couple of minor issues (iDisk sync gives errors due to funny permissions with invisible files, for example), and I have a major one with FileVault. It does not work at all for me. I turned FileVault on, gave a password, and waited forever while it encrypted my data. Then, it began verifying my FileVault, and within a few moments, I saw a message saying verification failed for my home directory. It stated, also, that FileVault would be turned off and unusable on my computer.

I have a clean install of Panther (even with a brand new hard disk, initialized, starting from scratch). Why would the verification fail? How can I make it work properly? I'd like to have my data safely encrypted by this great new feature. However, it is not so great if nonfunctional.

Any suggestions?

All help would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Well, I see no one had a clue, either, but a few of you guys viewed my problem without any form of thoughtful comment. Luckily enough for me, I came up with an easy, if obvious, work-a-round to the problem.

Anyone else having issues with FileVault encrypting large amounts of data within their home directory, try this: Take all files out of your home directory, temporarily, and move them to a safe and logical place in a new folder outside your home directory (such as the Applications folder). I took everything but my Library folder out of my home. Then, enable FileVault and watch it enable itself in about one minute. Of course then, you just copy the original contents of each folder back into their proper place within your home directory. All items are encrypted on-the-fly while passing into the FileVault home folder now.

Apple care did not even have a clue how to resolve this issue just yet. It is a new beast we are dealing with... Although, wow what a beautiful piece of work IMHO