iMovie import

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Once I burn a DVD using iMovie and iDVD (the latest versions), and clean the projects off of my HD, how the heck do I import the data from the burned DVD back into iMovie?

The iMovie import command doesn't seem to work as all of the files on the DVD are greyed out. What am I missing?

note: the burned DVD plays just fine, but I want my data back!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    That's like saying you want your source footage back after editing your movie together in iMovie or Final Cut.

Once you've burned it to a DVD, you have converted your data to a your different data type. You can't rip it back into iDVD's file format or iMovie's DV streams after you've burned it. Sorry.

The closest option would be to use some sort of DVD ripper to pull the MPEG-2 data off of the DVD, but you're going to lose quality in the conversion process.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    So for archiving purposes I need to store both my original iMovie files (in case I want to change something) as well as the final product that I've burned using iDVD. I see. I was afraid of that. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

So for archiving purposes I need to store both my original iMovie files (in case I want to change something) as well as the final product that I've burned using iDVD. I see. I was afraid of that. Thanks.

yup sorry dude...keep your original tapes, or burn all your source footage and your imovie folder per say onto a dvd as a data dvd, and just put it away.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I agree with Kraig911. Keep all your original footage on DV tape. Back up your data on DVD or get another big HD (min 7200rpm). HDs are cheap, get a nice big one. If you get an external one you can take you stuff with you if you ever need too. Look around for good deals (www. macmall.com would be a good place to start) That way you will always be able to go back and improve all your stuff, and you will always have copy of it too.