What happened, all my preferences are gone!!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I installed OS 10.3 tonight I did an archive install. Everything worked fine unitl I turned on file vault. It encrypted all my data, but than when I logged back in all my preferences were gone! So I turned it off and nothing came back. My dock is different, my login items are gone, my background picture is gone, and I have no access to any of my folders. I changed that but it won't allow me to apply to enclosed items so I have to go through and do it to each folder. I still can not seem to get anything to work right, it was fine the first time, now it's all gone! Help me!!!

Sorry if this belongs in OS X, I wasn't sure.

Edit #2: I fixed most of the above problems, but can not get to my e mail or log into iChat, when I open it and type in my name and account preferences it gives me this error message:

NSInternalInconsistencyException:

Unknown property 'Sam' type '-1549841004'

It has my custom away messages and everything saved, I don't know what's going on!

When I open Mail it tells me that it is downloading messages and than I get a strange high pitched sound (not the sound for when I have new mail) and noting shows up. I can access it through webmail, so I know it's there.