Big problems...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I wanted to check out file vault and so I turned it on, it encrypted and all, everything was cool. But when I logged back on all my preferences were gone and I didn't have access to anything in my Home folder. So I turned off file vault to try to fix it, but I still didn't have access privileges to my Home folder stuff (I have fixed this problem already, but some folders still pop up that I don't have access too). I still don't have many of my preferences from 10.2. Now I can't log onto iChat AV, when I give it my account info it gives me this error message:

iChat internal error!

NSInternalInconsistencyException:

Unknown property 'Sam' type '-1549841004'

I click continue but it doesn't do anything so I have to quit. I am also unable to access my email. It downloads all my messages, but I can't see them and it makes a strange jingling sound.

What's goin on? I need help!

Edit: My dad, mom, and brothers all have access to their email and can use iChat.

Edit #2: I got iChat to work, the system had taken ownership of several files and folders that iChat needed, so I took them back, now it works great. Mail still won't work though...grrrr....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    well I don't know for sure... sounds quite bad. I'd call Apple up if I were you. If you were smart enough to back up first I would recommend just doing a clean install with a problem like that. But before you do so. Delete all the preference files that have to do with anything you may think be causing the problem. Run repair disk permissions in disc utility and restart. See if that helps... Don't know what else to tell you.

But Panther is a great update you just had bad luck.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    dude you did something
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Make sure that all your files have the proper owner. When my Dad upgraded all his files somehow got owed by "system" instead of his username.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Make sure that all your files have the proper owner. When my Dad upgraded all his files somehow got owed by "system" instead of his username.

I'm in the process of doing that, but it won't let me be the owner of some of them. It keeps moving it back to the system being the owner. I don't know how to stop it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I'm in the process of doing that, but it won't let me be the owner of some of them. It keeps moving it back to the system being the owner. I don't know how to stop it.

He used the command-line to do it all at once. Remind me to call him and ask exactly what he did in the morning.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Jingling sound is Keychain related. Did you lock your keychain at some point?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Jingling sound is Keychain related. Did you lock your keychain at some point?

Nope, keychain is unlocked.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Would trashing the mail and iChat AV .plist files help this at all? These two are the only programs giving me trouble right now, other than that Panther rocks.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Have you tried repairing permissions on the drive?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Have you tried repairing permissions on the drive?

I did that last night, didn't help.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    If you have apple care I would call Apple up. They often have littlet tricks up their sleaves that you don't hear about.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

If you have apple care I would call Apple up. They often have littlet tricks up their sleaves that you don't hear about.

I'm going to do that, I just didn't think it's available on weekends so I tried here first. You guys usually have all the answers anyway, I love AI
  • Reply 13 of 22
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Have you used terminal to do a chown -r * on your user directory?

If not i suggest you do so.

You'll need to be root.

Read the man page for details - man chown

chown means CHange OWNer
  • Reply 14 of 22
    to change file ownership for your entire home directory from the command line, type this:

sudo chown -R [short username]:staff /Users/[short username]

and type your admin password when prompted.

[short username] is the second version of your username in your Accounts setup. It'll usually be shown in the command prompt in Terminal when you open it, unless you've edited your shell settings.

so for a mythical user "foo" this would be:

sudo chown -R foo:staff /Users/foo

edit: you beat me mmmpie! such is life...

edit2: your mail files live in ~/Library/Mail. Check to see if you have write permissions to this and the files in it - if you don't Mail.app was probably complaining that it couldn't write the mail to disc.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I love you guys!!!! Thank you so much. Everything works like a charm now. Email, iChat, it's all good. Now I can enjoy Panther. Thanks a lot guys, your the best!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I love you guys!!!! Thank you so much. Everything works like a charm now. Email, iChat, it's all good. Now I can enjoy Panther. Thanks a lot guys, your the best!

no problem.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Interesting... I just finished a clean install of Panther after experiencing a problem very similar to what you described here. I believe the problem came from File Vault also, but I am uncertain why. My preferences kept changing and resetting themselves. Movies no longer played correctly. It was very odd... I hope the problems are in the past after performing a clean install.

Only permission problems I've experienced, however, were with my iDisk. I could not delete or change invisible files within the ".tb" folder within my Pictures folder of my iDisk after my computer told me it could not Sync those seven files due to not having sufficient permission to do so to those files. I still have yet to figure out how to resolve that issue... Suggestions anyone?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Donny

Interesting... I just finished a clean install of Panther after experiencing a problem very similar to what you described here. I believe the problem came from File Vault also, but I am uncertain why. My preferences kept changing and resetting themselves. Movies no longer played correctly. It was very odd... I hope the problems are in the past after performing a clean install.

Only permission problems I've experienced, however, were with my iDisk. I could not delete or change invisible files within the ".tb" folder within my Pictures folder of my iDisk after my computer told me it could not Sync those seven files due to not having sufficient permission to do so to those files. I still have yet to figure out how to resolve that issue... Suggestions anyone?

If you are the administrator of the computer or you can get the administrator to change the owner that should allow you to change or trash those files.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Thanks for the advice... I am the administrator of my computer. How do I do it? The files are invisible files located ON my iDisk. I can get to those files easily enough, but I cannot mess with them at all so far. I'd appreciate a good work-a-round a lot.