iPod sound distortions, real problem

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a 3g 10 gig iPod. I am having problems with distortions. I have all high bit files and purchased music from the iTunes store but I get distortions. I compared it to my 12inch albook with the stock ear stocks and I get no distortions. When I switch to the iPod, same song, I get distortions. I have the EQ the same on both the pbook and iPod, Rock. Anyone know what's going on? Do the iPods just suck when it comes to sound?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Could you try to describe the "distortions" a little better?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Could you try to describe the "distortions" a little better?

The bass distorts. On the powerbook with EQ on, it sounds ok but with EQ on the iPod, bass distorts. Appparently this is a known issue as I am reading some iPod forums. Something Apple can fix easily with a firmware update I'm told.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I don't have an iPod, and I have only messed with my sisters 15gig a little, but if there is any onboard EQ, just turn the bass down

if not, then complain to apple, get them to release an update that fixes bass levels.

I had heard before that the iPod headphones actually work to enhance the sound by raising some levels and dropping some others[/foggy memory]

at anyrate, do they distort with any headphones? or just the iPod ones?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I don't have an iPod, and I have only messed with my sisters 15gig a little, but if there is any onboard EQ, just turn the bass down

The EQ is not adjustable like that. It has a selection of preset options like iTunes.

To the original poster,

You are correct the EQ definitely distorts audio with heavy bass in it. It does not matter what earphones you use it happens, the EQ is physically introducing clipping so it doesn't matter what you play it through. I have tried it with my Sony MDR-EX71SL's and proper (good quality) hifi speakers to confirm this. The solution if you want more bass? Get the best earphones you can afford and turn the EQ off (I can personally recommend the EX71's). I think this would be simple for Apple to fix as software filters (like the EQ) aren't that hard to get right. Actually come to think of it I might submit feedback now.

Edit:

Feedback submitted. Also I forgot to add that the distortion is not due to the volume being up too high as it can be heard no matter what the volume setting.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Ok. To all iPod owners. Please submit a bug report. This expensive of an mp3 player should not be doing what its doing. It should be an easy fix with an firmware upgrade.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Try turning off SoundCheck in iTunes and on the iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Do you think it will be possible to sync the EQ settings on iTunes with the iPod, like the saveable presets? That would be awesome to reduce the distortion through pre-amp contols. IS this even possible with a firmware flash?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This is a redundant thread but it is worth it because of the glaring mistake Apple made and should have fixed in days or weeks, yet let it slide ever since the EQ's inception. No self respecting DJ could use an iPod that can't do EQ right.

From the last thread

"The EQ on the iPod is USELESS. Here is why. It does not have a fscking amp adjustment (the leftmost slide in iTunes EQ.) This means when you turn the bass up it doesn't turn the master volume down and therefore distorts the bass."
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I don't use EQ just because it always sounds funny. And I hear it lessens battery life (I'm not sure about that one...)