VPC6: tips for making it run faster?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i'm running VPC6 on my 866 PB, and its very sluggish. has anyone any tips for making it run faster? or is that just the way it is??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Unfortunately, it's just plain slow.

Imagine using it on a 500 MHz machine.

Actually, if you ever try Bochs, you'll be amazed at just how fast VirtualPC really is.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    oh well...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    The only thing I have heard of which might help is to turn off disk caching in windows. OS X is already caching the disk so no need to do it twice.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    1. disable any 'effects' in windows.

2. turn off usb if you don't use it.

3. disable sound.

4. assign more memory to VPC (setting in vpc)

5. max out video-ram under VPC.

6. whatever u do, stay away from XP :-)

HTH
  • Reply 5 of 12
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

1. disable any 'effects' in windows.

2. turn off usb if you don't use it.

3. disable sound.

4. assign more memory to VPC (setting in vpc)

5. max out video-ram under VPC.

6. whatever u do, stay away from XP :-)

HTH

give ya five on these tips.

Yeah, never install xp on vpc, it is damn slow, but win2k would be fine, if you think it is very useful. and try to have a pc beside your mac, it would run any appz faster than that of vpc.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cheers.

i'm using 2000 and have no plans to upgrade to xp!

and i have some money burning a hole in my pocket. either a g5 or a pc. which do you think i'm going to choose...

• Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

and i have some money burning a hole in my pocket. either a g5 or a pc. which do you think i'm going to choose...

Get the G5 and a dirt-cheap, $200 PC. Virtual PC will not run on the G5; so, you'll need to either keep your old Mac or get a cheap PC solely for any Windows/Linux work.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Get the G5 and a dirt-cheap, $200 PC. Virtual PC will not run on the G5; so, you'll need to either keep your old Mac or get a cheap PC solely for any Windows/Linux work.

very good advice, save money for an amazing G5 box better than that of thousands euro pc.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    get a dual processor Mac.. (rule out the G5 by now).

My PowerMac 1.25 DP handles VPC 6 flawlessly.

I keep the VRAM at 4MB.. is it really better when I max it out? Too bad... VPC can only allow up-to 512MB for each guest OS.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

get a dual processor Mac.. (rule out the G5 by now).

Very important note:

VirtualPC will not split an emulation thread onto multiple CPUs. So, using VPC on dual 1.25 G4s will not make it twice as fast or even significantly faster than on a single 1.25 G4. By using a dual-processor Mac, you are simply giving Mac OS X an extra processor to put other apps' threads (as well as some very small networking threads from VPC).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I guess it all depends what you want to do on it, and what's your situation is...

For me it's convienient to have it installed on my PB, i don't need it to be extremely fast, just to handle my Lotus Designer, Crystal Reports, and few other things. It may not be as fast as PC, but it gets the job done, and i don't need to carry 2 laptops.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    thats my situation too...

i don't really need another machine sitting around for the little time i'll use it.

so i use vpc for sage, and accessing one of my clients VPN's (hopefully panther will solve that for me...)

plus i don't have the desk space!