Clean-installed Panther. Now how do I get Classic?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Found out Panther does not install Classic. Searched all over my 10.3 discs, and I couldn't find OS 9 anywhere.

I also have the 10.2 Jaguar System Resource CDs from my G4 iMac. It has OS 9 on it somewhere. Problem is, these System Resource CDs won't work in Panther.

If anyone knows how I can extract an OS 9 installer from somewhere, please let me know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by francisG3

Found out Panther does not install Classic. Searched all over my 10.3 discs, and I couldn't find OS 9 anywhere.

I also have the 10.2 Jaguar System Resource CDs from my G4 iMac. It has OS 9 on it somewhere. Problem is, these System Resource CDs won't work in Panther.

If anyone knows how I can extract an OS 9 installer from somewhere, please let me know.

buying a 10.3 license doesn't mean, you buy a 9 sytem license.- that's apple's pov ;-(

therefore i'm not sure, you'll find 9 on a 10.2 cd.... ;-( ;-(

try to open the "package":

place the 10.2.cd in your drive.

open it.

right-click (alt-click) on the files, choose "show package content" (or whatever it says in english...- ).

open the packages and look for system9.

hope, you don't fail...\
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Here's how you should go about getting it (it's not in the package contents for the Software Restore package):

1. Download and install TinkerTool from VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

2. Open TinkerTool and set it to show hidden and system files. You should see some extra files appear on your desktop (probably one called .DS_Store at least).

3. Insert your Software Restore CD and open the folder called ".images" which is normally hidden.

4. Look for an OS 9 disk image. If you don't find it, look in one of the other software restore CDs.

5. Once you find the OS 9 disk image, drag it to your hard drive, mount it, and copy the system folder contained within to your hard drive. Alternately, you can mount the disk image from the CD and copy the system folder from there.

6. Eject the CD, turn off hidden files, and start up Classic.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    A ha!! Thanks Luca. I'll give that a try tonight.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    or drag the system folder from an old system install if you have an extra computer. I had a CCC of my Jag system on my iPod and drug the OS 9 System folder to my Panther HD, selected it in the Classic Pref Pane with no problem.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

or drag the system folder from an old system install if you have an extra computer. I had a CCC of my Jag system on my iPod and drug the OS 9 System folder to my Panther HD, selected it in the Classic Pref Pane with no problem.

? or buy one, actual price at ebay 10$
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hey Luca - best tip ever! I even found a full version of Quicken 2003 on there which I installed!