Turn-based war games

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
V for Victory was one of the greatest wargames ever made for the Mac. The complexity, depth, and realism were incredible, and it was packaged into a very pleasing interface. And it ran on my 16mHz LC. I especially loved how supply allocation, supply lines, and zones of control were such integral parts of the game. Ahead of its time. And yet, it seems like since then war games have gotten dumbed-down or abstracted, despite being able to use 100x the processing power and memory. Does anybody have suggestions on a worthy successor to V4V on the Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

V for Victory was one of the greatest wargames ever made for the Mac. [...] Does anybody have suggestions on a worthy successor to V4V on the Mac?

There arn't many turn bases strategy games left, I'm sorry to say. Master of Orion 3 and Civlization III is the only ones I can think of for Mac OS X.. if you count out shareware stuff like Risk clones. FreeCiv should work. It's a open souce (free) CivII clone that works great on Linux and Solaris. Havn't tried it on OSX though. Should work.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Civilization isn't much good when it comes to complex strategic wargaming. it's to random and basic, with no room for real millitary planning.

Are there really no good strategy games for the mac out there?

Edit: playing advance war on a mac gameboy emulator really doesn't cut it...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    well if you want something thats not so basic, maybe turn based isn't waht you're looking for...war doesn't happen in turns after all
  • Reply 4 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Haxz0r Jim Duggan

well if you want something thats not so basic, maybe turn based isn't waht you're looking for...war doesn't happen in turns after all

troll, go play some chess...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    no troll, take it easy
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

troll, go play some chess...

LOL Chess is turn based!

I like Civ3 myself but I also like real-time war games too.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    multiplayer online games list

some of the SSI simulations based on World at War can be found online via www.Atomic.com or www.ssgus.com
  • Reply 8 of 13
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

I like Civ3 myself but I also like real-time war games too.

What do you mean by real-time war games? [wary] Warcraft et al. are fun, but they're not exactly what I'm talking about - they're no more "war games" than Civ3. Harpoon is a great real-time war game, but it's obviously naval-oriented. Close Combat is much more tactically oriented. I'm looking for a unit-level game, not solider-level.

Jim, do you have suggestions in mind for unit-level real time war games on the PC? I'm not aware of any, but I'd be interested to know if they exist.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I spent hundreds of hours playing SSI's Panzer General and Allied General on my LC III. They broke in OS 9, unfortunately (along with Imperialism II, another turn-based favourite of mine).

Civilization 2 was great, and I've enjoyed my fair share of Civ 3, but I understand your lament. Have you tried playing the Harpoon series? The learning curve and complexity are pretty daunting, from what I've seen.

I'd like to check out Europa Universalis II, just ported from Windows. Inside Mac Games gave it a good review last week. The review would have been even more positive if not for the reviewer's slant against the game's considerable complexity.

Until then, I'll have to keep playing Advance Wars 2 on the GBA... now that is a quality game.

[Whoops ? missed that Harpoon had been mentioned.]
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I played a Warcraft 3 mod that was just like Risk

It was really fun, not entirely turn based, but it felt turn based in the way that you received units and resources.

wasn't the most complex or deep game, but it was very fun, especially if you like Risk.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I used to play Strategic Conquest. It is not OS X native but it does play in classic mode. Not a bad turn based game.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Lord of the realm II or II... for windows...

It is country level, unit level and solider level all rolled into a turn based (realtime battle) game.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    TOTAL ANNIHILATION!