stream of consciousness on DVD's to watch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looking for recommendations on recent blockbuster-type movies. (i.e. DVD's that will be easy to find and rent or borrow). I've got a flu and fooked up my knee in a rugby match a few days ago, so I'm not really doing a whole lot right now. (not to mention I have the week off).

Matrix 2 is on the top of my list, but that one keeps selling out. Last night I swapped "ghost in the shell" from a guy down the hall for "This is Spinal Tap." Interestingly enough, "ghost in the shell" had a lot of matrixyness in it, but it was a little too japanesy for me.

(and no, I'm not a moron, the swap was temporary )

He has some movie called "Equilibrium" that came with a recommendation. I'm going to try to swap that for Rambo 3 tonight.

Rambo rocks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Equilibrium is silly...terribly silly, it's kind of like a wannabe 1984 meets the matrix. but I guess, it's not difficult to watch, so it might be what you are going for. kind of like the core...very silly, but easy to just sit there and veg to
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Mulholland Dr.

Fight Club
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Identity
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Already saw identity last week.

My friend came up to me and said "Hey, I got this movie 'Identity' and I got halfway through but it was too scary. I'm going to go pick up Sasha [the gf] and by that time you'll be halfway through." So he hyped it up and. . . .

It sucked. I was eating chicken wings and drinking a cherry slurpee. they were better than the movie.

Anyway, I went over to the guy's room to pick up Equilibrium. He has a bunch of what appears to be really low-end japanese cartoons on DVD. One of the ones I remember looking at was called "Eatman 98" where the protagonist was a super hero who could eat metal and crap out various implements made of the metal he ate earlier.

Sometimes I wonder how much mescaline these anime writers do on a weekly basis. Of course, Equilibrium came from the same collection, so I can't imagine it's too much meatier. Fine with me though. He makes fun of the fact that I won't let him borrow "Mad Max" (The original) because it is a vhs and I don't want the tape getting stretched out.

• Reply 5 of 14
    I've been pitching this movie around for a while here, but I'll do it again.

Dog Soldiers!

it's a wonderful romp in B-movie goodness, werewolves versus scottish army dudes, in the middle of the woods.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I've been pitching this movie around for a while here, but I'll do it again.

Dog Soldiers!

it's a wonderful romp in B-movie goodness, werewolves versus scottish army dudes, in the middle of the woods.

You have me intrigued, but I have to find it first. Another movie that I REALLY want to see is "Killdozer."
  • Reply 7 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Another movie that I REALLY want to see is "Killdozer."

Oh man, that's great. I remember seeing that movie as a kid. Love those B movies. Some other good ones I remember from around that time are SSSSSS and Phase IV.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Memento.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, get your ass in gear and rent it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Yeah, I've seen Memento. Pretty cool, but I don't think I'd want to watch it again.

The verdict on "Equilibrium" -

Lame. Movie concept: make a cheap rip off of 1984, Brave New World, and Farenheit 451. Add mucho gunplay.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Plotwise, Equilibrium may be a cheap-looking 1984 meets Farenheit 451 with bad sets and worse costumes, but its so worth watching for the 'gun kata' fight scenes (where guns are used like samurai swords in close fighting)...I bet that the Wachowskis and Tarantino are kicking themselves for not coming up with this style for the Matrix sequels / Kill Bill (although the Wachowskis came close in the first Matrix)...and I guarantee it'll be ripped off in mainstream movies to come.

More fun stuck-in-bed-with-flu recently released rentals: 28 days Later, Battle Royale, Rushmore, Donnie Darko.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Speaking of Rushmore: The Royal Tannenbaums. Good music. Dark and funny as hell.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Why on earth would you want to watch anything, ANYTHING other than the two Lord of the Rings movies over and over again?

Sheesh.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Why on earth would you want to watch anything, ANYTHING other than the two Lord of the Rings movies over and over again?

Sheesh.

Cheers

Scott

Because I've read the book and know too well the story.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Because I've read the book and know too well the story.

That's not an excuse by any stretch of the imagination! (I was kidding around in that last post, BTW).

Cheers

Scott