Powerbook SPEED question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a powerbook on the market today that can outperform my mirrored drive dual 800 tower? I use it mainly for photoshop image editing, some imovie video stuff, and itunes management. I love my dualie, but its LOUD LOUD LOUD.

The obvious other question: should I just wait a year (or possibly longer) for the g5 laptops to be available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I suppose the 17-inch may outperform the dual 800 in some respects. Why don't you just get a G5 tower?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Would be nice to have the portability...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Wear headphones and listen to music, and then buy a G5 PB when it comes out.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    You probably will not notice much of a difference in speed. The only real weakness with the powerbook is the slower hard drive.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    did you ever look into that recall on the MDD power supplies? they got much quieter after that, although i think the free exchange of power supplies has ended now.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

You probably will not notice much of a difference in speed. The only real weakness with the powerbook is the slower hard drive.

Yeah, but the drives are getting faster now, up to 5400 rpm. It will be somewhat slower because of the HD, but not too noticeably.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'm on the verge of getting the new 17", and the first thing I'm doing is replacing the HD with an IBM 7200 Travelstar. I'll lose 20GB, but I think it'll be worth it for the extra speed.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Wear headphones and listen to music, and then buy a G5 PB when it comes out.

Yes, I can't wait!

Anyone else thinking that above pic isn't TOO far off?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yes, I can't wait!

Hey two optical drives Put a briefcase handle on it and I'll get one
  • Reply 10 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Lord that's funny. Did you see his other one?

Hilarious.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

did you ever look into that recall on the MDD power supplies? they got much quieter after that, although i think the free exchange of power supplies has ended now.

Yes, Thanks! I did replace the power supply myself (picture a computer novice tiptoeing around the inside of the computer trying to avoid static electricity, using this tiny magnetic screwdriver...)

That reduced the sound noticeably, but it still has a "screaming" quality. Oh, if they would only come out with the G5 Cube!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yes, I can't wait!

ROTFL

• Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Lord that's funny. Did you see his other one?

Hilarious.

Looks like a hover-craft
  • Reply 14 of 16
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Yes but with a G5 inside it will FLY.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Yes but with a G5 inside it will FLY.

Here's my powerbook vs a 1,6ghz G5 powermac.

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge....932&doc2=45546

Both running 10.3, but remember that the G5 powermac has a 7200rpm HD vs the 5400rpm HD in the powerbook, so it gains a lot of points from this.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The G5's that go into the Powerbook in a year's time will be 90nm for sure, and may well have some sort of power circuitry in them as is the case with the Pentium-M.

But before then I would expect to see an improved 7447 core powerbook G4. If it can get to ~1.5 Ghz, that's faster than your dualie for sure. . . (better raw speed + presumably more cache).