Apple stole exposé off Microsoft!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I cannot believe Apple would stoop to such a level!

Quote:

Microsoft wasn't sure whether it would just demo Aero or supply it to PDC attendees," one source told me recently. Microsoft made the decision to demonstrate Aero only because of the long delay between PDC 2003 and Longhorn's final release, which is set for late 2005. If the company released all its UI work now, its OS competitors--such as Apple Computer and various companies and organizations in the Linux camp, all of which have fewer customers and faster release cycles than Microsoft--would be able to clone the Longhorn work before the OS's release. This problem has dogged Microsoft in the past, the most recent example being Apple's Expose technology, which will ship in Mac OS X 10.3 late this year. Microsoft has been demonstrating Expose-like technology for years now, but the technology won't show up in Windows until the Longhorn release at the earliest.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...367/40367.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Somebody please tell me this man is insane! What are your thoughts on this "Apple stole Exposé from Microsoft" statement he is making? Is he right? Is he wrong? Programmer, Amorph, Brad can you hear me? What do you (and others) think of this?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Even if it was right who cares? Microsoft doesn't invent anything good that is in their products.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Even if it was right who cares? Microsoft doesn't invent anything good that is in their products.

It DOES matter. If nothing more than to show whether Paul Thurrott is as full of **** as he seems. Sorry for the harsh language. I just get so upset sometimes.

Mental note to self: must not forget to take the yellow pills next time...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    If microsoft had it, they stole it from Linux. So what?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Even if it is true, M $ stole everything they have from somewhere else. Many of their features came from Apple. Might I point you to the quote from Bill "I suck" Gates, "I see no advantage to the guided user interface." Shortly thereafter, Apple implements a GUI and M $ follows suit. Look for the screenshots from the alpha versions of Longhorn, tell me that isn't brushed metal. I don't believe it, but even if it is true, it's about time they were repaid for all the times they stole from Apple.

Edited because my grammatical skills many times don't keep up with my typing.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I cannot believe Apple would stoop to such a level!

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...367/40367.html

This was brought up a few weeks ago this same exact thing, its all a pile of steaming crap. Microsoft HAS NOT demo'd anything even close to expose, even recently all they have been able to demo is wavy windows and not actually demoing them in anything useful other than saying "look we can make a window wavy" its not even as fancy as apple has had with 10.0(with the genie minimize).
  • Reply 7 of 13
    This was discussed a month ago already:

Apple Copied MS's Expose Texhnology??? Yeah, Right...

A few good points there. Paul Thurrott's article has little real substance.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I lifted half a finger and did a google search for "microsoft aero". As far as I can tell this guy is the only one talking about "aero". Looking and reading the link below "aero" is the look and feel of Longhorn. I'm guessing that this guy thinks "Expose" is the look and feel of OS X. Rather than what it is, a UI method to show all windows and switch to one.

Clueless PeeCee troll. Disregard.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_aero.asp

But he doesn't provide enough info to tell so maybe I'm wrong?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Check this out. Looks like MS "stole" the piles idea for grouping files. They call it "stacks".

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._longhorn_dc_3
  • Reply 10 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Next thing you know they'll come out with consumer programming language called Hyper.NETcard.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Microsoft demonstrated some nifty, DirectX-driven compositing technologies back when we last saw them come out with that Cube clone (remember that one, with the integrated phone and Cinema Display rip-off?). They showed whiz-bang effects, like a frivolous pull-and-tug dynamic on a calculator, as well as windows floating around in the background. Nothing of real use.

Quartz, which has been around since early 2001, is a similar window-compositing technology; Exposé, on the other hand, is simply an application of that technology to window management. To say that Mirosoft has been showing off anything UI-related that's even comparable to Expose is a lie. They've barely caught up to Quartz (which was around a half-year before XP was even on the shelves) in a tech demo here or there. Now let's see them actually do something with it.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    So cronologially:

Apple: Quartz and Quartz Extreme

Microsoft: Aero (quartz-like WC)

Apple: Exposé

Paul Thurrot: Exposé is Quartz [wrong!] and thus the Panther WC came after Earo was introduced [thus wrong again].

Or what?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

So cronologially:

Apple: Quartz and Quartz Extreme

Microsoft: Aero (quartz-like WC)

Apple: Exposé

Paul Thurrot: Exposé is Quartz [wrong!] and thus the Panther WC came after Earo was introduced [thus wrong again].

Or what?

The potential for Expose was there since Quartz was there. You saw the neato genie minimizations on Apple's part. It just that there wasn't any useful way yet imagined to exploit that technology into something that would actually improve workflow. Sure, Microsoft showed a bunch of shrunken, buoyant windows floating around in the background, but that was a tech demo, not a solution to clutter, as Expose is. If you want to argue that it's the technology, not the idea, then Apple had teeny windows in the dock since day one (and again, this is before Windows XP even grew out of its "Whistler" codename), so they still win this little spat.

I also want to distinguish between the UI and the window compositor. Aero is NOT responsible for all this craziness we're talking about. Aqua is to Aero as Quartz Extreme is to Avalon. Aero is simply the (ever-changing) "style" of the windows, just as Luna is the current one on XP, which glistens with "the make-up of a cheap whore" as one AI member once put it. Avalon, however, is the new fancy way of running all these windows through DirectX (among other modular technologies, like MS's lame text-rendering engine, ClearType).

Paul Thurrott can't even get the name of his own Windows technologies right.