so, the new safari's out, right?

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
if so, is the ONLY way to get it by purchasing panther???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    It would seem so, yes, at least temporarily.

Moving to Software.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    By the way, here's a list of features from a reliable source.

------------------------

Safari 1.1 is here. Those of you who picked up Panther can take it for a spin. This release is big step forward from 1.0, chock full of bugs fixes, improvements and UI refinements.

As far as new WebCore features, here's a few highlights:

(1) Better standards support. You'll find fixes for positioning bugs, overflow bugs, floats, tables, gzip support, generated content using ::before and ::after, DHTML. You name it, we've improved it.

(2) Speed. We're still fast, and we're only going to get faster.

(3) CSS2 support. In addition to all of the bug fixes to be more standards-compliant, we also added support for CSS2 properties like text-shadow and new display values like inline-block. Try using text-shadow in conjunction with ::selection. It's cool.

(3) Safari on Panther supports rgba values in CSS for specifying border, background, foreground and shadow colors.(4) Support for the CSS3 opacity (using -khtml-opacity) property. Make entire blocks and inlines transparent without resorting to transparent PNGs.

(5) A complete implementation of the XUL box model. Safari on Panther supports the complete XUL box model, including horizontal and vertical boxes, the ability to flex, and the ability to reorder content and reverse content. If you're building canned content that you control using WebKit, you'll find a whole new range of layout possibilities at your disposal. Need to create dynamically sized headers and footers and flexible center content? The XUL box model can do that. Need to center an object within the viewport? The XUL box model can do that too.

And in case you're curious, here's what we've already got working post 1.1 in WebCore that you can look forward to:

(1) Support for the title attribute using tooltips

(2) The ability to tab to all controls in a Web page and to manipulate them from the keyboard.

(3) Support for table border collapsing.

(4) Support for the CSS cursor property.

... and a whole lot more ...

------------------------

Several trackbacks also ask about Safari 1.1 on Jaguar. As I've mentioned in previous blog entries, I can't comment on future Safari releases.

I can whet your appetite with more WebCore stuff that we've implemented since Safari 1.1: small-caps support, fixes for first-letter and text-transform (the ugly doubling text effect is gone), fixes to first-line, and speed improvements to DHTML.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    does it allow you to "send " a web page like netscape and IE??

i do that alot and it's a nice feature. And it's not under the services menu, i tried that.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Safari 1.1 still doesn't work with some sites

In Honda Canada's web site the navigation just completely screwed up. Link overlaping on others...dynamic rollovers on cars' colors don't work.

Mini's site....asp pages doen't load at all.

My brother also points out there's problem to save images some sites that loads images dynamically have problem with Safari. Safari doesn't save files from cache. We go to download image to disk Safari has to load the file again, but since those sites are dynamic therefore what we get is just a HTML file. This bug, I personally admit, is so fu(king annoying
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I have it but it always defaults back to to tiny text on my TFT, I zoom in to make it readable but this is not stored, unlike earlier versions where it was. Damn.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    That naughty developer David Hyatt has been implementing XUL in Safari!

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/

That's.... quite terrifying. I think we need Brad to "pay him a visit" with a couple of bully boys and lecture him on the benefits of using native widgets!

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 33
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Safari 1.1 still doesn't work with some sites

Using the feedback button, yes?

I believe that Safari 1.1 is Panther-only in that it uses technology that's built into Panther and doesn't work in Jag.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Mini.com, MiniUSA.com and Honda.ca all work for me.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I believe that Safari 1.1 is Panther-only in that it uses technology that's built into Panther and doesn't work in Jag.

damn, i hope not. i'm not going to be getting panther for at least a few more weeks, so i'll have to wait at least that long until i can get the new safari, if that's true.

the other problem is from a web design standpoint. if apple ties safari with an operating system upgrade, and not everyone upgrades (which is likely, especially in the beginning due to price, people waiting for bugs to be ironed out, etc), designers will have to work with both versions in mind for page rendering. dammit!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Mini.com, MiniUSA.com and Honda.ca all work for me.

http://honda.ca/HondaEng/Financing/Default.htm

Text link at top got screwed up

http://honda.ca/Personalise/HondaEng...663388&yr=2004

Rollover doesn't work

As for Mini....go to "My Mini">"Build My Mini" and you will know what I am talking about
  • Reply 11 of 33
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Is anyone else experiencing the behavior that while several tabs are loading, a tab will grab focus once it's done loading, even if you're currently on another tab?

This one is driving me batty...
  • Reply 12 of 33
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Just switched to Firebird few says ago. Yes it has it's limitations (as every browser on this platform). I just can't stand the lack of 'back to previous page' in the contextual menus in Safari. The only thing I miss really is the elegant looks of Safari. It's just so simple and nice. The Aqua like dabs in Firebird are plain ugly IMO. But I take it over Safari now.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

I just can't stand the lack of 'back to previous page' in the contextual menus in Safari. The only thing I miss really is the elegant looks of Safari. It's just so simple and nice. The Aqua like dabs in Firebird are plain ugly IMO. But I take it over Safari now.

Set one of the buttons on your mouse to do command-[

this is what I do.

Oh wait.....I forgot you only have a single-button mouse

After you get my CD you better go get a FIVE button mouse
  • Reply 14 of 33
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Okay, more frustration with latest safari. I tried twice at different times to follow stories on ESPN's website, both times the little spinning color circle shows up on screen(the one indicating computer is working) only it stays that way and the web page never loads, leading to a force quit situation. I will say kudo's to system 10 though because at least you can force quit and everything else stays fine(kind of a nice upgrade from 8.1 where 1/2 the time the whole computer would freeze). Also I have the same issue with tabs grabbing focus even while I'm working in another one. I really like having tabs, but damnit, don't keep switching me when I don't want too. Any ideas under preferences for fixing that?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Set one of the buttons on your mouse to do command-[

this is what I do.

Oh wait.....I forgot you only have a single-button mouse

After you get my CD you better go get a FIVE button mouse

No mate, I've got a Logitech wheel mouse, havn't used single button mouse since IIsi or something. Look forward to the CD though
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Is anyone else experiencing the behavior that while several tabs are loading, a tab will grab focus once it's done loading, even if you're currently on another tab?

This one is driving me batty...

yes, i'm having the same problem, but mind you i am still running safari 1.0 under jaguar. it seems to happen mostly with the appleinsider boards, when i do a search, and then switch to another tab. safari will automatically bounce me back to the appleinsider tab when the search results page loads.

um, not to skew the thread too much in any one direction, but like i started the thread with, doesn't anyone find it odd that you can't download it anymore? not even the version 1.0 from the website? there's just this huge blank white space where the "download now" button used to be. apple can't seriously be wanting people to shell out for panther just to use the latest safari, can they? considering the problems i have read about panther so far, plus a few from friends, i am not touching it until 10.3.1 is out (let's hope soon). but that means some safari weirdness i am experiencing won't be fixed until then either.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    rok, I justed like telling you there is a shift button on your keyboard
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

There is a script on that page that is forcing the page to the front. Safari is doing exactly as it should, following the script's commands.

Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yes, i'm having the same problem, but mind you i am still running safari 1.0 under jaguar. it seems to happen mostly with the appleinsider boards, when i do a search, and then switch to another tab. safari will automatically bounce me back to the appleinsider tab when the search results page loads.

Same situation.

I repeat: this is not a bug in Safari. It happens in all browsers.

See the thread in Suggestions Why is AI popping forward?.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

There is a script on that page that is forcing the page to the front. Safari is doing exactly as it should, following the script's commands.

Same situation.

I repeat: this is not a bug in Safari. It happens in all browsers.

See the thread in Suggestions Why is AI popping forward?.

okay, then, brad, at the risk of incurring the wrath of admins and mods alike, if you're AWARE of the issue, and its annoyance (even though, from indication of the other thread you linked to, even YOU didn't really understand what was going on at first), and that it seems to be bothering more than it's pleasing, AND that it has only started happening...

why not MAKE IT STOP???

just curious (in a smartass sort of way... i'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass)
  • Reply 20 of 33
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

okay, then, brad, at the risk of incurring the wrath of admins and mods alike, if you're AWARE of the issue, and its annoyance (even though, from indication of the other thread you linked to, even YOU didn't really understand what was going on at first), and that it seems to be bothering more than it's pleasing, AND that it has only started happening...

why not MAKE IT STOP???

just curious (in a smartass sort of way... i'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass)

I agree, it is highly annoying. Please make it stop!