Panther Samba Printing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Panther's Print Setup Utility can't seem to find my Epson printer hooked up to my Win 98 machine. I have printer sharing turned on on that machine and I could get it to work in 10.2 but it just doesn't want to see the printer.

What am I doing wrong?''

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by miggs97

Panther's Print Setup Utility can't seem to find my Epson printer hooked up to my Win 98 machine. I have printer sharing turned on on that machine and I could get it to work in 10.2 but it just doesn't want to see the printer.

What am I doing wrong?''

You could get it working in 10.2? I'd say your in the wrong workgroup in that case. Open up Directory Access and make sure your mac is in the correct one.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I seem to be in the same workgroup. Even changed both computers to a different one to see, but still nothing. In Jag if you held down the option key and press Add Printer it would display advanced settings. I tried it again but... wait a minute.

Well look at that it worked just like in Jag, okay don't mind me.

Thanks anyway.'8)'
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

I seem to be in the same workgroup. Even changed both computers to a different one to see, but still nothing. In Jag if you held down the option key and press Add Printer it would display advanced settings. I tried it again but... wait a minute.

Well look at that it worked just like in Jag, okay don't mind me.

Thanks anyway.'8)'

Yeah, that's what you had to do in Jag. In 10.3 all those 'hidden' features are out in the open. I'm not sure what could be causing it. I found printing via SAMBA in Panther to be incredibly easy compared to Jag.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Panther is great for SMB stuff. Better than Jag in my opinion...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Yeah, that's what you had to do in Jag. In 10.3 all those 'hidden' features are out in the open. I'm not sure what could be causing it. I found printing via SAMBA in Panther to be incredibly easy compared to Jag.

It's good to see that most of the features are not hidden anymore, but I still had to use the Option key just to get it to work, maybe it's my Win 98 machine, it's probably not configured correctly.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

It's good to see that most of the features are not hidden anymore, but I still had to use the Option key just to get it to work, maybe it's my Win 98 machine, it's probably not configured correctly.

If you got it to work with Jag, you must be doing something right... Have you tried restarting the Windows machine? That tends to get the gremlins out.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Panther is great for SMB stuff. Better than Jag in my opinion...

If it's so great at SMB, why can't I browse my Windows file servers with Panther, like a Jaguar Mac on the same network can?

Waiting for 10.3.1...

(So you know, I'm pretty happy with Panther, but I'm hoping that a few dot-oh bugs like this get fixed soon.)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

If it's so great at SMB, why can't I browse my Windows file servers with Panther, like a Jaguar Mac on the same network can?

Waiting for 10.3.1...

(So you know, I'm pretty happy with Panther, but I'm hoping that a few dot-oh bugs like this get fixed soon.)

I can browse the window file servers from panther in my offices network just fine. Printing setup via samba was a breeze for me...Haven't encountered any problems yet and i'm running it on a very old mac.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

I can browse the window file servers from panther in my offices network just fine.

It seems that some people have a problem with this, others don't. I've not heard anything useful yet for figuring out what the essential differences are.

Just to make sure we mean the same thing by "browse": I'm not talking about browing the files on a drive that you already have mounted, I'm talking about automatically seeing all of the various Windows file servers on your network that are available to be mounted, and not having to use "smb://blah.blah.blah" to mount them.