Is .mac worth it for homepage creation or???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just wondering how easy it REALLY is to make a homepage with the "homepage" section of .mac. Can the homepage support a "paypal" donation button or anything commerce related? Just asking because I like to write and I have a book coming out in the spring. Hmmm, I guess that's it. Anyone with advice or tips I'd really like to hear them. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chikan

Just wondering how easy it REALLY is to make a homepage with the "homepage" section of .mac. Can the homepage support a "paypal" donation button or anything commerce related? Just asking because I like to write and I have a book coming out in the spring. Hmmm, I guess that's it. Anyone with advice or tips I'd really like to hear them. Thanks!

it IS very easy!

BUT:

from my point of view, all the "themes" offered are a little ... "playful", if you know what i mean. picture/homemovie presentation is nice, rest is for collage boys&girls?-

never try to establish a site with LOTS of text with homepage?-

no support for extras, like your mentioned paypal button.

BUT:

you can use any other website-creator (have a look at freeway - very intutive, really! just grafics, boxes, dragndrop, no "coding") to create a .mac website. with that, of course you can place paypal buttons etc. how to place a "homebrewed" website on your .mac account is described at the faqs.

or, right now, as a .mac member, you can buy for a special prize (79$??) "macromedias contribute" which offers lots of extras (paypal button again ) - and it is totally integrated with .mac! very good for "actualization" of websites....-
  • Reply 2 of 9
    k_munic

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it! "macromedias contribute" - are there any examples of websites with this content........? Is your own .mac site optimized with this? Any other tips/suggestions I'm all ears!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Contribute really can't create pages, it only edits them with extreme ease. Use Macromedia Fireworks/Dreamweaver for the actual design. I have Studio MX 2004, it's a great deal.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Placebo, does Studio MX 2004 work well with .mac? I had a "professional" company try and do a site for me..and they are absolutely terrible. Horrible actually! I won't mention the name unless someone asks........then I'll gladly give it out! Thanks for all the advice. I just want a basic site, that looks 1/2 decent that can have a

"Pal/Pal" button....
  • Reply 5 of 9
    yeah- dot mac is pretty good, maybe alittle slow...but it doesn't offer much extra...like database stuff, CGI stuff, etc...I enjoyed it for the first year, but decided not to renew because I kind of grew out of it.

Why not try the dot mac trial and see if it works for you and then decide if you want to pay for it.

If you go to a university many offer you webspace for free (mines 50MB). Some ISP's even do this.

Peace.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Placebo, does Studio MX 2004 work well with .mac? I had a "professional" company try and do a site for me..and they are absolutely terrible. Horrible actually! I won't mention the name unless someone asks........then I'll gladly give it out! Thanks for all the advice. I just want a basic site, that looks 1/2 decent that can have a

"Pal/Pal" button....

You export the HTML, and use your webspace to host your site.

I'd happily design your site. Seriously. I'm looking for experience and reputation, so I'll have a hope of looking good when I start applying to high schools.

Some of my early work: http://www.sheilamullins.com/
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

"Pal/Pal" button....

You export the HTML, and use your webspace to host your site.

I'd happily design your site. Seriously. I'm looking for experience and reputation, so I'll have a hope of looking good when I start applying to high schools.

Some of my early work: http://www.votesheila.com/
  • Reply 8 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Btw, Leonis from AI here does professional web design. Good web design. Contact him through here.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Should you consider turning your .Mac webpage into the next Amazon.com, make sure that you're familiar with the terms of use. See http://www.mac.com/1/membership_terms.html While I don't imagine that a paypal donation button is a violation of these terms, it's a bit unclear how far you can go.