Apple's location criteria for retail stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there any rhyme or reason as to where Apple opens a retail store? I mean there are 16 in the state of California alone, and some are pretty close to one another.

I suspect they have demographics, and business plans etc...but you wonder why they haven't hit all the states. Judging from the map, they don't have any in the north central region or the midwest. Mind you it's probably not as populous there.

And when the heck are they coming to Canada?!! Come on, if you want population, the greater Toronto area has about 4 million folks. Only L.A, N.Y. and Chicago have more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    They don't want to get frickin' SARS.

• Reply 2 of 13
    Sacramento: Home to more or less half a million people. And on a given day at the Apple store there are more employees than people shopping. Meanwhile a few thousand miles away, my neighbors to the north get nothing. God bless America...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There are two in south Minneapolis - Mall Of America (Bloomington) and Southdale (Edina). Why? Don't ask me. Why not put one in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul? Or one in Minneapolis and one somewhere else in the Midwest? I don't really understand. Oh, and there are two in San Diego and just from looking at the map you'll rarely be more than ten minutes from one if you live in a major population area of California. I really do think they should build some in more places, distribute them better, so more people can get to them.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    They are where money is. Thus Old Orchard to compete with North Michigan .. and not really compete. Different clients. Completely.

I heard a conspiracy theory they use old GAP stores to build Apple Stores to ...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

I heard a conspiracy theory they use old GAP stores to build Apple Stores to ...

that's basically true....Gaps and restoration hardwares
  • Reply 6 of 13
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    they have one in the mall of america because of foot traffic there.

the other one is in Southdale because that's by where all the rich people live.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Oh yeah, and the Mall Of America one is right next to a GAP so I don't think it's built in a former GAP store (unless the GAP that is there relocated from where the Apple store is now). I haven't been to the Southdale one.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

There are two in south Minneapolis - Mall Of America (Bloomington) and Southdale (Edina). Why? Don't ask me. Why not put one in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul? Or one in Minneapolis and one somewhere else in the Midwest? I don't really understand. Oh, and there are two in San Diego and just from looking at the map you'll rarely be more than ten minutes from one if you live in a major population area of California. I really do think they should build some in more places, distribute them better, so more people can get to them.

GIMMIE ONE IN DULUTH!!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Come on, Nashville.....
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I think that Apple has decided to place Apple Stores only in locations near CPKs.

• Reply 11 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Oh yeah, and the Mall Of America one is right next to a GAP so I don't think it's built in a former GAP store (unless the GAP that is there relocated from where the Apple store is now). I haven't been to the Southdale one.

If an Apple Store takes over a GAP store it's by coincidence.

It just means Apple Stores cater to the same crowds, so they build them in the same locales.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Apple needs a store in Toronto.

They could place it near Collage and Spadina... for two reasons.

1) To sell directly to UofT.

2) To put Computer System Center out of business. They are one of the few apple resellers around TO and I hate them...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    There are 3 in the Chicago area, which is perfect for me :-) Schaumburg, Oak Brook, and Michigan Ave. in Chicago. One in WI, two in MN, One in IN, two in OH, and two in Michigan. Not a lot of midwest locations, but I'm set right now.