Panther Slower?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm not saying it is, I'm asking the question. I did an archive/install, and frankly, I don't really see any speed increase. It still takes 3-4 bounces for Safari to start up for example. The only thing I've noticed is the Help viewer, but that didn't really speed up due to optimazations as much as they changed the underlying renderer (which is thankfully much faster than the older one). Oh yeah, and property sheets (or whatever) slide in/out a little faster. Overall it seems the same (not a bad thing though, I'm liking lots of the other features).

However, when I have my standard group of apps running, and then my screen saver kicks in (red pill), the screen saver is running noticeably slower. Now sometimes it runs this slow, but that's when I have more stuff open than I do now.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this?

Edit: Some things do *feel* a little snappier, so I don't mean to say I notice zero increase, but it seems marginal at best.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Check out this thread for some answers...

(Oh, and red pill uses OpenGL, right? There were some tweaks to that that are causing some slowdowns for some apps in some cases some of the time. Something like that. )