Will the 12.1 iBook be discontinued?

jobjob
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It seems logical enough.

With the 12.1" Powerbook touted as the ultra-portable, professional laptop is it possible that with this most recent iBook update the 12.1" iBook is on it's way out?

Could the entire line of iBooks use the 14.1" screen currently in use, while the Powerbook retains the different screen sizes and options? If someone wants an ultra-portable then they could opt for the 12.1" Powerbook. If they want just a good consumer laptop then the 14.1" iBook would work fine.

I'm not starting this thread in an attempt to fuel the debate as to whether or not there even should be a 14.1" iBook. I just don't see a future for the 12.1" iBook, especially after the most recent updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    why do you see ibook 12" as not logical?

there is one big difference between 12" ibook and 12" powerbook. apart from all the features that are same or different.

MONEY.

everybody does not have enough money to buy a powerbook, period.

i see nothing unlogical with that.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    The one thing that made me consider the end of the 12.1" iBook is that it is now the base model with the slowest processor. Usually Apple has the mid-range model available as a 12.1" version as well.

If Apple were to keep the iBook prices relatively the same and make the entire iBook line 14.1" would people still buy them?

The main point I had about portability is that if someone wants an 'ultra-portable' bad enough, then they would probably be willing to shell out the cash. Besides, is the 14.1" iBook that much less portable than it's 12.1" brethren?

Everything IMO of course.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Don't forget the education market for which the iBook was designed. 12.1 inch iBooks are easier for smaller hands to carry, easier to fit into a backpack, weigh less and require less storage space than larger units.

I'm sure elementary and secondary school districts also look more favorably on the lower price and polycarbonate case of the iBook in comparison to its aluminum kin.

The processor speed difference is minor considering that many school districts are still sucessfully using pre-iMac G3 AIO designs and fleets of Bondi and rainbow iMacs.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

The main point I had about portability is that if someone wants an 'ultra-portable' bad enough, then they would probably be willing to shell out the cash.

Five hundred dollars, $1099 iBook versus $1599 PowerBook, is a HUGE thing for a school that is giving them to students. Plus, the iBook is a bit more durable. Consider the Maine deal - 30,000 laptops at $500 per unit, is $15,000,000.00 of (mostly) donated money. Bit hard to cancel a product like that!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    you don't have an issue of 500 $ difference, job, but not everyone is as lucky as you.

it is big money for some. for some who wanted a mac laptop and if .. there wouldn't be do you think they would work months more to have money to get a powerbook, or just go for a dell? besides - not all mac markets are in USA. in europe and south america macs cost honey. your legal minimum wages in south america can be 75 US$ a month .. and even less. save of that to get you a powerbook, kidding? in US ibook seems more targeted for kids, but for the rest of the world it's an apple laptop.

thre definitely is need for that model. go to your closest apple selling store, and ask how much and which ibooks and how much and which powerbooks they sell.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    You also have to remember that the 12.1" iBook is more popular than the 14" iBook in most parts of asia.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I'm not starting this thread in an attempt to fuel the debate as to whether or not there even should be a 14.1" iBook. I just don't see a future for the 12.1" iBook, especially after the most recent updates.

Well, this is comming to you from a 12" iBook G4...

This is my first forum post from my new mac, bought on the Night of the Panther for 10% off. I am now a switcher (having used Apple ]['s in the 80's at school tho).

Honestly, I was going to get a 14" 933 model when I walked in the store but the discount was only available on stock they had in store at the time. Since I walked in at 11:30pm they only had 3 12" models left out back. I looked at the screen on the demo model and thought it would be fine for my intended uses (nothing heavy) as would the 800 MHz G4. So I saved myself (and my wife who took some convincing) $200 on the computer alone then I got another $110 off as a discount. Sweet.

I'm quite happy with the screen size now. It must be lighter, less power hungry, blah blah.

Now if I can just get my wireless network set up on my Win 98SE machine...

MM
  • Reply 8 of 32
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    I think it is on its way out. Because looking at the laptop sales overall, 15" screens have increasing marketshare. Looking at the PC side, the vast majority sold are 14/15" screens. And many people (besides people in ASia) but a higher priority in larger screens. I work in a major retailer, and 12" ibooks doesn't sell because people who are shopping that price range look for screen size, not laptop size. The 12" powerbook will serve the desire for a small laptop fine. Looking at the PC side, most small name brand laptops cost more, and the 14" ibook is small enough, with an ok footprint.

1. there is only 1 model

2.. it is a little too similar to the 12" powerbook

3. the ibook is the mainstrem laptop and the mainstream ones have bigger screens

4. the price on these screens must be getting pretty cheap, since some pc makers are discounting laptops with 15" screens to $699, I imagine a 14/15" ibook at $999-$1099 could be possible
  • Reply 9 of 32
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

I think it is on its way out.

No fvcking way. The 12" iBook is used EVERYWHERE. It is THE inexpensive laptop that Apple sells. You're on crack, the lot of you.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    i disagree, in fact i believe there should be a 12" laptop without any drives, this would make the laptop thinner and lighter. this is coz wireless lans are much more popular now. and most ppl would like to have something they use to access the internet and some basic applications, but dun want to use a pda and want the use of a semi full size keyboard
  • Reply 11 of 32
    I think the bigger question is how will the 12" POWERbook be adjusted to differentiate it from the iBook. The only BIG difference right now is the availablility of the Superdrive.

I think we will see i jump in the processor for the PB's ... maybe announced in January (announced, maybe not available right away.)

I have a hard time seeing a G5 in the books that soon, but maybe a much better G4 is coming up ?

(And don't everyone elaborate on the differences in the 2 current models... I am well aware that almost every spec in the PowerBook is somewhat better than the iBook ... it's just that for ME, the lack of a Superdrive is the only reason I don't want the iBook.)
  • Reply 12 of 32
    g5s are not fast and easy to adapt to laptops yet. just look on the g5 case. on its 9 fans. i have really hard time believing those would be in powerbooks anytime soon.

12"s are used everywhere. the screen resolution is anyway the same than most 14" pc laptops have.

if the 12" ibook was taken out of market, many people who woulh have wanted and needed an apple laptop might just get a dell or other pc. most pc laptops do cost less, and i'm sorry but money is not like rain in a rain forest for everyone on this planet, it's not coming from the sky.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    The 12" ibook is the size of a piece of notebook paper. It is a great size for all kinds of students, home users and even professionals. It is extremely affordable and now with a G4 is even more stable for the future.

This on going idea that the 12" size for either the iBook or the PB is just pure rubbish.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

you don't have an issue of 500 $ difference, job, but not everyone is as lucky as you.

Actually, as a college student, $500 is a fair amount of money to me.

I've read through all of the comments in this thread, but it doesn't seem that anyone has answered this question yet:

**If the 12.1" iBook is so popular, then why didn't they include a faster (933Mhz springs to mind) model for those who want an iBook faster than 800Mhz but with the 12.1" screen?**

Why? Is it because it would have cut into 12" Powerbook sales? Is it because Apple actually wants people who want a 12" Apple laptop with a faster CPU to buy the more expensive Powerbook?

Is it because the two models would have been too similar and thus people would have opted more for the cheaper, but similarly powered (hypothetical) 933Mhz/1Ghz 12.1" iBook? Or would people have have gone the reverse and purchased the Powerbook?

To be very honest, I'm pricing and specing out Apple notebook options and a 1Ghz, 12.1" iBook would have been perfect. But I can't see that coming with the advent of the 1Ghz 12" Powerbook. Instead, I can actually spec out a 14.1" 1Ghz iBook with Airport and Bluetooth that has more RAM (640 vs 512), a larger screen (obviously), and a better GPU (IMO of course) than the comparable combo drive Powerbook for nearly the same price (a rough $20~$50 difference.)

Right now, I'm just left wondering why Apple did not include a 933Mhz 12.1" iBook. It is this that made me consider the demise of the 12.1"

Again, everything IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    even though the resolution for the 12 and 14" ibooks is the same, many people in the target consumer market do not care about reslolution and look for screen size. I think the new laptop line will look more like this:

13"/14" widescreen if possible ibook

12" small powerbook: perhaps smaller than the current version with 6-7 hour battery life, included superdrive

15" more battery powerbook (6 hours real-life)

17" more power, decent battery (4-5 hours real life
  • Reply 16 of 32
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Apple might be tying to be competitive. Dell's computers almost always come with 14" or bigger displays.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    unlogical? I think you mean illogical. Personally, I hate the 14 inch model, but thats just personal preference. It makes sense from a Joe-consumer point of view (because the screen doesn't look as cramped) and it makes sense for Apple because they charge a premium for it. I think it was a step back to only offer the faster processors in the larger iBook G4s but that probably has to do with cooling issues. For me, the beauty of the iBook is its compactness and sturdyness, both of which are personified by the 12 inch model.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MartianMatt

Now if I can just get my wireless network set up on my Win 98SE machine...

HA! Good luck with that one. Let me know if it ever works.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Apple might be tying to be competitive. Dell's computers almost always come with 14" or bigger displays.

You have to remember two things. First, not eveyone needs or wants that big of a screen. It's less portable, more bulky, and more power hungry. Some people need the portability that a 12" laptop affords them. Second, dell sucks.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

**If the 12.1" iBook is so popular, then why didn't they include a faster (933Mhz springs to mind) model for those who want an iBook faster than 800Mhz but with the 12.1" screen?**

Why? Is it because it would have cut into 12" Powerbook sales? Is it because Apple actually wants people who want a 12" Apple laptop with a faster CPU to buy the more expensive Powerbook?

Is it because the two models would have been too similar and thus people would have opted more for the cheaper, but similarly powered (hypothetical) 933Mhz/1Ghz 12.1" iBook? Or would people have have gone the reverse and purchased the Powerbook?

In short, your reasons are exactly it. Having a faster 12" iBook would cut into PB sales. People would have gone for the similar speed but cheaper price for the 12" iBook and the 12" PB sales would have sucked.