3 gigs of ram in a G4 iBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was thinking today...Apple claims that the iBook can support up to 640mb of ram. It has three ram slots, correct? So theoretically, since there are now 1gig ram sticks available, the iBook can support 3 gigs. I think. Am I totally wrong about this? I am seriously considering a G4 iBook, but my sticking point is the small amount of ram supported. If I knew that I could use more, I would buy today, but 640 mb seems like so little ram. So can I do three gigs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    one slot.

plus another 128 soldered to the MB.

512MB + 128MB = 640MB
  • Reply 2 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    DMBand0026: Where on earth did you get the idea that the iBook had three RAM slots?

The iBook G4, just like it's G3 predecessor, has 128MB RAM soldered to the mobo and one (1) free RAM slot. With a 1GB stick that add up to 1152MB of RAM. That should be plenty for any iBook buyer, but is nowhere near 3GB.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Could these new G4 iBooks eventually (if not now) support 1.12GB RAM? Seems that I read somewhere - the day the G4 iBooks were announced last week - that "in theory" iBooks could be fitted with one of those newer 1GB DIMMs.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Can a G4 even address 3 gigs of RAM? I thought the max was 2.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    4gb i believe.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    why on earth would you want 3 gb of ram in an ibook? If you were going to spend so much money upping the ram, wouldn't it make more sense just getting a 15"pb and the up the ram?

To think about it 15pb only support 2gb of ram. How on earth is apple going to make an ibook with more ram than a pb?

Anyway, I think if you were going to need anything more that 640mb of ram. It would be a better idea to just go on with a pb...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Could these new G4 iBooks eventually (if not now) support 1.12GB RAM? Seems that I read somewhere - the day the G4 iBooks were announced last week - that "in theory" iBooks could be fitted with one of those newer 1GB DIMMs.

although officially unsupported, every mac since the iMac will actually accept "overcapacity RAM"

some rev A iMac users have 512 sticks in slots only spec'd for 256 max

as long as its the same speed/parity/flavour, a bigger stick will be addressed

ditto PB and iBooks since then
  • Reply 8 of 11
    what do you plan on doing with an iBook that will require so much RAM? I have 1GB in my 1Ghz TiBook and that's quite enough for anything I do. . . . and I do a lot of intense 3D graphics.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Your all right, I was mistaken, I thought it had 2 in addition to the one that was built in, i just didn't phrase my question correctly. So would the 640 mb (or the 1.1 gigs if I decided to do that) be enough for some video and photo editing. I'm using FCP3 and Adobe Photoshop. I assume that they will work pretty well considering how well they run on my 450mhz G4 Cube with 384mb. I just want to make sure, get the opinion of some experts. Thanks a lot.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Your all right, I was mistaken, I thought it had 2 in addition to the one that was built in, i just didn't phrase my question correctly.

Just one more FYI - the built in RAM isn't a slot you can upgrade, it's soldered in and can't be touched. You have only one slot that you can install a RAM chip into.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Just one more FYI - the built in RAM isn't a slot you can upgrade, it's soldered in and can't be touched. You have only one slot that you can install a RAM chip into.

Sure you can... get out that soldering gun! (semi-serious)