802.11 g speakers from Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
They will be the next gizmo from Apple.

Two speakers with airport cards in them and a streaming client / decoder.

When a rendez-vouz enabled Itunes Mac approaches the speakers they appear in a small icon in the down right corner.

The speakers are password protected and can detect specific itunes playlists and request the stream.

These things are REALLY cool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

Two speakers with airport cards in them and a streaming client / decoder.

When a rendez-vouz enabled Itunes Mac approaches the speakers they appear in a small icon in the down right corner.

The speakers are password protected and can detect specific itunes playlists and request the stream.

These things are REALLY cool.

Are these just for portables, or will iTunes handle multiple streams, sending different streams to different rooms? I've been speculating about this since before the first iPod was announced. I hope it finally happens.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Are these just for portables, or will iTunes handle multiple streams, sending different streams to different rooms? I've been speculating about this since before the first iPod was announced. I hope it finally happens.

Yes.

Each pair will have their own address and be paired with a specific Mac ( streamer).

The owner Mac will be able to stream multiple playlists to different pairs of speakers.These streaming playlists will be a superset of current playlists. On the left itunes pane there will be a red playlist called a "Streamer Playlist". Streamer playlists will act as supersets of current playlists with a few modifications. Each of these red palylists will have colume, bas, treble and timer options for the specific pair of speakers them stream to. You drag your playlists to the Red playlist and thats it .

Bass, volume and Treble superseed the defaults for ypur individual songs,

The speakers themselves are kinda like airport base stations without the ports. Them can be charged, battery operated life will be about 8 hours.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    can i have some of the ish you're smoking?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Great idea! I've been looking for some overpriced speakers, and I'm glad to see that Apple will become the leader in this crucial new market.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Another INSIDER wanna be.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Yes.

Each pair will have their own address and be paired with a specific Mac ( streamer).

The owner Mac will be able to stream multiple playlists to different pairs of speakers.These streaming playlists will be a superset of current playlists. On the left itunes pane there will be a red playlist called a "Streamer Playlist". Streamer playlists will act as supersets of current playlists with a few modifications. Each of these red palylists will have colume, bas, treble and timer options for the specific pair of speakers them stream to. You drag your playlists to the Red playlist and thats it .

Bass, volume and Treble superseed the defaults for ypur individual songs,

The speakers themselves are kinda like airport base stations without the ports. Them can be charged, battery operated life will be about 8 hours.

It sounded partially reasonable to you got to the battery operated part. Considering that these things would costs a couple hundred dollars (you'd have to have an airport card, CPU, DAC, amp ect all in one little package) they better sound really good. No battery operated speaker sounds good or is very loud.

A way more reasonable idea is just to sell a box that does everything you describe except that it has analog and digital out ports on it to connect to a stereo and has a remote.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    could this be the device mentioned in the 'whats coming at macworld in january?' thread.

bigger than an ipod, yet smaller than an ibook

cost $199

??
  • Reply 8 of 17
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    yeah, the sound quality would have to be seriously good me thinks!

i favour the 'hub' idea mentioned above -- lets me plug my own system into it
  • Reply 9 of 17
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Great idea! I've been looking for some overpriced speakers, and I'm glad to see that Apple will become the leader in this crucial new market.

Oh, but they already are....\

http://www.apple.com/speakers/
  • Reply 10 of 17
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

And you know this because...?

Imho the idea is bogus:

- You don't need 802.11g for music. 802.11b would be plenty.

- How do you configure a speaker system on a encrypted network? You'd need to go to ad-hoc mode and then upload the information.

- Two AP cards alone are more than most people would like to pay for speakers.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I think they should make a reciever that does this, not the speakers. Then the user has the option of what speakers he/she wants to use. Look at creative's soundblaster wireless for a rough example. Or just write drivers for that.

shoulda done this a long time ago- oh well.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    These actually _are_ a receiver, just an 802.11g (or b) receiver. They have to include an amplifier, clearly, so that's really what they are, not just speakers.

Most sensibly, two speakers would come in a pair, with one supplying the amplifier and wireless card, and then a cord to the second one.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

could this be the device mentioned in the 'whats coming at macworld in january?' thread.

bigger than an ipod, yet smaller than an ibook

cost $199

??

No offense othello, but this sounds like the old bigger than a bread basket, smaller than an ice box game.

Wireless speakers would be sweet, but they still need a good power source. How about the Apple Cold Fusion power pack?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

And you know this because...?

Imho the idea is bogus:

- You don't need 802.11g for music. 802.11b would be plenty.

- How do you configure a speaker system on a encrypted network? You'd need to go to ad-hoc mode and then upload the information.

- Two AP cards alone are more than most people would like to pay for speakers.

Yeah, but the price of the AP cards is outrageous. These things are pure commodity, and no doubt get knocked out for next to nothing. Manufacturing costs would (I would guess) be in the $10 range per card. You could therefore easily incorporate the technology at no great cost. The main point would be how to get a decent amp.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Yes, newer wireless chips are coming out driving the cost down to a pence. People are used to the Apple Tax(TM).

Think about the idiocy of this though. The host would need to send two streams, one for each speaker!!!

Yes a receiver would be a little more practical. Better still is a box with wireless capabilities and a few outputs (RCA, mini-jack, etc.)

And if I were a little crazier, might I suggest video streaming and an S-Video output?

Screed
  • Reply 16 of 17
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    The bandwidth needed to stream video would be immense. It would be a lot more than audio. This is why you dont see wireless moitors.. or wireless cable systems. I dont see video anytime soon. Maybe with Airport UltraSuperExtreme @ ~ 500Mb/s
  • Reply 17 of 17
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    The Amp wouldnt be too hard to build. I have built a small portible sound systemt that works off my iPod. The amp case is 2.5x 4x.75 inches. We have the the powersupply running off a lead acid beattery. But a Li-Ion would work better. And it sounds great. right now i have it hooked up to my computer and powering a single book shelf speaker. Its around 80+ Db.

decided to crank it up after the post and got up to 112DB with slight distortion. 8) not bad for alittle amp that is near 3 years old.

The only problem is that the power supply for my setup needs 12 volts, hence the heavy n large battery. its like 3.5x4x5 inches. BTW the amp is stereo so you could take the dim for the amp down by half, and we hand drilled and drew the circuit board, so if it was done on a profesional process it could be a bit smaller, the only thing is heat dissapation for the amp chips but that can be fixed with an easy heat sink.

If you had a speaker set that was large enough for an AP card it could easily handle my amp without problem. the signal reproduction is good when the heat is down, and there is enough juice n the battery. After about 9 plus hours it starts to get weird.

The real thing is finding some cones that wound good in a small frame, and it depends on how small a speaker setup we talking about. Like if Apple did some thing like the Bose 301's that would be a serious setup. In fact the enclosrue is large enought that the amp and everything could be added as an extra 2 inches on the bottom with out throwiing off the design. that would allow for a decent size battery, ap card, my amp, and then the control setup. plus you could op for a larger chip to drive the speakers.