I am not smart....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Alright, I forgot my AC adaptor for my Powerbook! I am kind of freaking out about it. What will happen if the battery and backup battery both drain? I shut it down after it was sleeping for an hour and a half. I am planning on getting another AC adaptor tomorrow morning. Will that be soon enough? If I don't get another one tomorrow, it will be four days until I get it plugged back in!!! I hope nothing too bad can happen. Wish me luck.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Nothing dramatic will happen. When your battery hits 7% it will give you a warning saying it will shut you down.

It may not let you start your machine up until power is restored, other than that not being able to use your computer is the only downside.

Tips:

Don't use CD's

Turn processor speed to reduced in energy saver prefs

reduce screen contrast

sleep HD when possible

Hopefully this will give you a bit more life.

If you get really desperate try popping into a store that sells apples and see if you can mooch a charge!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    If you've got your PB completely shut down, after explicitly shutting it down the normal way, you don't have anything to worry about.

Even if you had left it sleeping rather than shut down, it would take a day or two to kill the battery, and the worse that would happen would be the same as a forced shutdown.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Wait...an AC adapter isn't included with the PB? What about the iBooks? I always thought it was. Or maybe your talking about something completely different and now I look retarded. Probably the latter.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Wait...an AC adapter isn't included with the PB? What about the iBooks? I always thought it was. Or maybe your talking about something completely different and now I look retarded. Probably the latter.

It costs extra for the iBooks.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

no it doesn't
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Probably the latter.

Would you be interested in some lovely lunar seafront property?

For you I make special price.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

well, what I meant by ac adaptor was that I don't have anything to keep my powerbook charged. Ok, so from what I understand, nothing happens to the powerbook if your battery completey drains. What about the settings and preferences, like the date & time? Isn't there some other smaller battery that keeps that information, or is it all from the powerbook's main battery? I think I will still buy a charger, just to have an extra.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

no it doesn't

Do I need to put a to let you know that I'm just kidding? Sheesh.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

well, what I meant by ac adaptor was that I don't have anything to keep my powerbook charged. Ok, so from what I understand, nothing happens to the powerbook if your battery completey drains. What about the settings and preferences, like the date & time? Isn't there some other smaller battery that keeps that information, or is it all from the powerbook's main battery? I think I will still buy a charger, just to have an extra.

The date and time will probably reset if the battery drains all the way down. It's unlikely to do that if you don't run it until it's completely dead. If you shut it down instead of sleeping it, you'll probably be ok. You don't need to worry about any of the stuff on the hard drive. That will be fine.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it can run in sleep mode for days. even from 7%.

4+ days i'd worry and turn it off instead of sleeping.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    portables without an internal Backup Battery from apple support pages

contents of RAM will be lost with power down and capacitor discharge

if your model isn't in this list, there's an internal watch battery that keeps clock and system state info

makes you wish for a gilligan-crank/hamster-wheel to bolt on, eh?