Don't get your hopes up

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Remember what everyone was talking about what the iPod might be? We were hearing ideas about a set-top box that was AirPort enabled, had a 30GB HD, firewire and USB, held video and audio and basic video techniques

and what did we get?

A really cool MP3 player... Breakthrough? Half way there....

So, whatever one is thinking for MWSF:slice you expectations in half. This great breakthrough thing, is not going to be the greatest....

Though, i would like someone to prove me wrong and after it is announced, write here and tell me i am a dumby :cool:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    We will. That's what these forums are for.

Did we really need to start a new thread about not getting our hopes up?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>Remember what everyone was talking about what the iPod might be? We were hearing ideas about a set-top box that was AirPort enabled, had a 30GB HD, firewire and USB, held video and audio and basic video techniques

and what did we get?

So, whatever one is thinking for MWSF:slice you expectations in half. This great breakthrough thing, is not going to be the greatest....

Though, i would like someone to prove me wrong and after it is announced, write here and tell me i am a dumby :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Alright, then I'll just envision iMacs with Superdrives across the board, Apple Cinema Displays... G5's at 2.6GHz...

Although, if I had to bet, I'd say Apple's going to do something like have a top end G4 at a disappointing 933MHz, no USB 2, no faster bus, etc. Hopefully that's not true.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    no way USB 2~!!!!!

One, it is not standard on the PCs yet and

Letter 2. it is against FireWire

dingus!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member

<strong>no way USB 2~!!!!!

dingus!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple doesn't wait for PC standards to make decisions (floppy drives, LCD only)

UBS is not against firewire because Apple doesn't make a lot of peripherals. If a lot of devices come out sporting USB 2 Apple will be left behind and I don't think Steve will let Apple fall behind after the CD-R thing (ok, so we still don't have DDR, but that will cahnge)

Besides, isn't USB2 backward compatible?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    actually dingus usb 2 doesnt compete with firewire. 1394 is the standard for video connections. secondly that is second gen competing with the first revision firewire which is getting updated to twice the speed, explain how 800 compares to 480, or how 3200 compares to 480, usb e doesn't stand a chance against firewire, but it does allow for a greater amount or extras to be added on that bus which is a plus
  • Reply 6 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    No, it will blow your mind alright.

I've posted detailed information in my signature. Please be discreet if distributing it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Judging from what the iPod turned out to be, I'd guess that any "digital device" that Apple releases will just be an improvement of what's already out there (e.g. MP3 player, digital camera), and the real innovation is in how it interfaces/works with the Mac (e.g. iPod w/iTunes.)
  • Reply 8 of 13
    After all the evidence and the comments by Jobs and Apple about "we promise it will be worth attending" etc., I've gotten my hopes up.

Plus, I've learned to always have faith in myself and everything around me. I'm counting on Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 13

It was the same when apple introduced the very first imac that happened to sport JUST usb ports, a standard that was not adopted by the masses yet, apple took a HUGE gamble with making it the only means of adding peripherals to the imac, and what happened? Success.

I can def. see USB 2 on the next motherboards.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member

I know his has been beat into the ground already but...

USB (1 or 2) sucks when compared to firewire. The system overhead required to use it effectively for what you could use firewire for makes it a poor choice. Intel made USB 2 dependent on the processor just like USB 1 is. Likely so that they can sell faster processors to make it run better.

Also Firewire and USB are not in competition. One is for low-speed devices and general connectivity (USB), the other is for heavy duty data transfer and A/V etc (Firewire)... Intel would like you to believe they compete, but they truth is they do not. They should both be there. Heck, first generation Firewire will be better and FASTER than USB 2 in reality. Never believe the specs until there is proof. There is NO WAY that USB 2 will outperform Firewire. It is made all wrong...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    What will Steve Jobs reveal at MWSF 2002? Here is my set of guesses:

-iMac

7460-G4 (Apollo)

1.0 - 1.2 GHz

15-in. flat panel display, 266 DDR memory bus

-iBook

750fx-G3 (Sahara)

1.0 GHz

no other change

-PowerBook

7460-G4 (Apollo)

1.0 GHz

266 DDR memory bus

-Professional-Desktop

8500-G5

1.2 GHz, 1.4 GHz, 1.6 GHz, dual 1.0 GHz, quad 1.0 GHz

All prof. desktop models --

(a.) 400-MHz (100x4) QDR front-side bus,

(b.) Gigawire, which is either RapidIO (for connecting multiple CPUs), or 1600 MHz fibre-optic FireWire,

(c.) Firewire 2,

(d.) USB 2,

(e.) Bluetouth

-Prof-Desktop CONCEPT DEMO ("model coming later")

8500-G5

quad 2.8 GHz

Should reach equiv. SPEC2000 of 7600 (11 times a 2-GHz P4)

-Rack-mount server-Mac, U1 or U2 size

8500-G5

multi 0.800

(a.) Headless, no video,

(b.) Controlled via AirPort and rlogin by an iBook,

(c.) RapidIO backplane for up to 32 CPU-cards in 1 box,

(d.) Cheap but powerful, an Itanium killer.

--Principle followed in my guesses: Apple will use in 2002 starting in January or February, whichever advanced PPC CPUs are available and whichever are suitable, given the constraints of price and heat-dissipation, for a given model. Regarding the seemingly fantastical idea of a quad 2.8-GHz G5 model being possible today: apparently a very small percentage of chips on Motorola's G5 wafers test good at 2.8 GHz; why not use them for something, even when the mem bus, etc. could not keep up? For why I choose Apollo, Sahara, and G5, see the CPU table at this web site "Intel Designs vs the PowerPC Family":

<a href="http://www.bayarea.net/~kins/AboutMe/CPUs.html"; target="_blank">http://www.bayarea.net/~kins/AboutMe/CPUs.html</a>;

Kins Collins
  • Reply 12 of 13
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member

<strong>Remember what everyone was talking about what the iPod might be? We were hearing ideas about a set-top box that was AirPort enabled, had a 30GB HD, firewire and USB, held video and audio and basic video techniques

and what did we get?

Though, i would like someone to prove me wrong and after it is announced, write here and tell me i am a dumby :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

If your expectations are low, you can't be disappointed

Personally, I hope they'll have new desktops, G5, and everything, but they'll probably only come out with G4s just over 1000mhz.

• Reply 13 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Well, someone mentioned a Pi-Mac yesterday. What about a Pie-in-the-Sky-Mac? You know, the G6??