Need external Hard Drive...which brand!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Interested in external hard drive for backup...have iMac 17 and PB 15 Al.

Would need 80-120 GB with basic backup SW.

Looked at LaCie, Maxtor and iOmega but not sure which is best for the money or if there are other brands better. Need the software that would allow to backup whole hard drive as well as periodic backups of only changed files.

Most of my data comes from MS Office, iTunes and iPhoto

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I have always had good luck with LaCie drives that I have either used myself or recommended to a customer to buy.

As far as putting a HD into an ext FW case, Maxtor and WD are pretty much on top of the game right now. I prefer and have always had good luck with Maxtors offerings.

I don't use sfw to backup (drag and drop baby), so I can't really help you there. A finished drive like LaCie's should come with backup sfw that will probably do the job.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    LaCie
  • Reply 3 of 8
    LaCie. Before I purchased mine, I did the simple math to see which size yielded the most GB per dollar spent. It actually was the 160GB size, and not the larger one. May be different now. Don't think you can go wrong with LaCie. My 160GB is nearly full of video now. Need to get myself another soon.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I have a LaCie d2 250gb FW800 drive at work, and it's awsome. It even came with every cable one could possibly need, well almost.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

I have a LaCie d2 250gb FW800 drive at work, and it's awsome. It even came with every cable one could possibly need, well almost.

Can you backup whole hard drive?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by switchfromdell

Can you backup whole hard drive?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Physically there is enough space to back up my hardrive and the drive comes with freeware from LaCie called SilverKeeper that:

"will Backup, Compare, Synchronize or Restore folders on Apple Power Macintosh computers. It can copy or compare folders of any writable device that is visible as a volume mounted on the Macintosh Desktop. This includes hard drives, ZIP drives, DVD-RAM drives; almost any internal or external Macintosh disk or flash device."

I don't really use it for system backup, just dv and general storage.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    If you have .Mac you can get a discount on SmartDisk FW 400 drives ($30 off either 80 or 120 GB). I got an 80 GB one ($99 after discount) and it's been great. I made 2 partitions, one the size of my PowerBook's drive (to which I cloned my drive using Carbon Copy Cloner), and the remaining 50 GB partition as a general storage volume. I am most pleased .
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I know you're not looking at this brand, but AcomData is complete crap. Before I got this drive, my setup was totally silent. But now, this thing is so loud that I can't sleep if its on. I tried to switch the drive in it with my internal drive, but I can't get the enclosure open. Finally I got a long enough cable that I can keep it closed up in a cabinet, but that thing is loud.

And I thought it was loud when my CD drive spins up...