Network problems, and Mail.app malfunctioning in Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I have read some posts about network browsing problems and I have exactly the same problem in Panther.

I have Panther on an external Firewire disk (80 Gb LaCie). Connected to my Powerbook G4 12" G4 867.

I can connect via samba to PC volumes in my network with command + K introducing smb://ip or smb://servername, but I cannot browse the network as I could in Jaguar.

Besides that, I have an added problem at work. We have a Microsoft Exchange Mail Server, to which I could connect in Jaguar with Mail.app with no problems at all. I had my account configured via pop-mail.

With Jaguar I can not connect to send mail nor to receive it. Mail.app tells me It can not reach the server in port 110 (receiving) nor in port 25 (sending).

I tried to connect via Terminal, doing Telnet (open Terminal, writing telnet nameoftheserver 110) and that gets a good connection. So it is not a network problem, because using Terminal I can connect to that server in that port. It looks like Mail.app has a bug or something.

I tried to connect via Exchange instead of connecting via Pop, but I came to the same problem. Just changed the port (maybe port 143, don't remember exactly).

I tried to put the server IP instead of server name in the configuration, but I came to the same problem. No differences.

Does your Mail.app function correctly? Do you have any of these problems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I have Mail.app working fine...Oddly enough I couldn't get it to connect with Jaguar, but it's smooth sailing in Panther. On Windows (with Outlook) the Exchange server is resolved by assigning the name (<company name> PUBLIC, even though the target SMTP server address is different and resolves to a name like XXXSMTP01.

I entered the IP address of the "PUBLIC" server in the incoming mail section along with my account name etc (default port)...In the Outgoing mail I set it to the IP address of the SMTP server and Port 25.

Everything works great...

On the other hand, I have experienced your issue not seeing shared network volumes as I did in Jaguar...Nothing shows up under "Connect to Server" despite the fact that there are hundreds of servers out there. I can't even connect to any manually, when I try it requests my network authentication and appears as though it will connect, but then shows my User contents as a new connection...Makes no sense...

In addition, I'm looking for a way to sync Address Book with the corporate contacts list...Any ideas????

Thanks! Good luck!