What did you buy? 12" vs 14' iBook G4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just a quick poll to see how the new iBook G4s are selling and a call out to anyone with pictures of the new 12" and 14" iBook G4s. My local Apple Store still does not have the 14" iBook G4s on display. :/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I finally pulled the trigger and went for the 800 combo. I've been in no particular hurry to upgrade for a long time now as my bondi has been chugging along fine doing all the light-weight stuff I use it for. Getting a bump to G4 and Panther (along with the nice price drop in Canada) made it a no-brainer. Seems like a tight little unit with no problems of any kind (in the 24hrs I've had it ) but a bit of a learning curve moving up from 8.6.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bozzabozza Posts: 11member
    From a Japanese site.

New G4 in foreground, older G3 in background

And a new opened, to show the sturdy design underneath.

Oh, and another of the new G4.

--Bozza--
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Ya know, the 1Ghz model is a stinky value compared to the others.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    The 1ghz sux price wise, better to buy the 933 upgrade the hdd and get a 512mb stick of ram and you would have a more useful machine for basically the same price.. tempting little sucker it is..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I never found the 14" attractive. If they offered a 14" at 1024x1280, it might look more appealing.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I got the 12" the day it was released.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I never found the 14" attractive. If they offered a 14" at 1024x1280, it might look more appealing.

Heh, I think you switched your numbers . However, there are some problems with 1280x1024 on the 14" iBook.

1) 1280x1024 is a 5:4 aspect ratio, so they'd either have to make the iBook nearly square to fit all the pixels, or they'd have to use non-square pixels (argh! NO, never).

2) The 14" iBook has the same sized screen as the 15" PowerBook, minus some extra room at the edges. Comparing my 14" Wallstreet to my dad's 15" TiBook showed that they're the same height and the PowerBook's screen is just wider. So they should have the same number of vertical pixels (or almost the same).

3) 1280xAnything is a much higher pixel density than Apple's other LCDs. a 1280x960 screen on the 14" PowerBook would be a higher resolution than the 15" PowerBook on a physically smaller screen, and it would have a pixel density greater than the 12" iBook.

The solution is an 1152x864 14" screen. 1152x864 is an exact 4:3 ratio, and it's about the same pixel density as Apple's other LCDs (that is, about 100 pixels per inch).

EDIT: By the way, those new G4 iBooks look slick! But how can those Japanese type with such tiny space bars?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    This is an interesting thread, to see who buys what.

Hoping to keep it up.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bozzabozza Posts: 11member
    Quote:

By the way, those new G4 iBooks look slick! But how can those Japanese type with such tiny space bars?

It's what you get used to I suppose. Japanese doesn't require word spacing like English does, and the space bar is more a kanji selection tool than a space bar. Those who know Japanese will understand.

The reverse could be said of the return key. Nice and large(r) on the Japanese keyboard.

--Bozza--