How's the cloned Steak? Pass the cloned milk...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well sort of. Not sure what I think of this. America land of cookie cutter everything including genetics.

Makes a person want to move to Europe

Your thoughts on cookie cutter genetics ?

Quote:

"Edible products from normal, healthy clones or their progeny do not appear to pose increased food consumption risk,? said the 12-page executive summary of an FDA report."

Don't you love the word "appear" used above.

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    GE and cloned food needs to be tested of course, but that applies to everything. I look forward to the day where tenderloin grows in massive faceless sheets rather than cows bred for slaughter... How awesome would that be?

Every time you eat a banana, you are basically eating a clone. Get over it.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I look forward to the day where tenderloin grows in massive faceless sheets rather than cows bred for slaughter... How awesome would that be?

Lets say they were grown on faceless sheets, thus never having to kill a cow ever again for its meat. Cows could roam on farmland to live their lives in peace. Would you approve of that?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by nwhysee

Lets say they were grown on faceless sheets, thus never having to kill a cow ever again for its meat. Cows could roam on farmland to live their lives in peace. Would you approve of that?

We wouldn't have to breed so many of them, that's for sure. You drive down Interstate 5 here...

eventually you smell something...

it gets stronger...

you crest over a little hill...

and see endless plains of cows ear to ear, face to butt...

the sky is greenish brown there...

turn off your AC/vent...

And gigantic unattached udder would be waaaay cool too.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    They say "appear" because nothing in science is 100% certain.

I personally don't see the problem with genetically engineered/modified food, as long as it doesn't adversely affect the ecosystem or harm anyone.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

They say "appear" because nothing in science is 100% certain.

I personally don't see the problem with genetically engineered/modified food, as long as it doesn't adversely affect the ecosystem or harm anyone.

I have no problem with technolgy to be honest. I just ask questions when we (as a society) race to do things in more and more un-natural ways.

Not saying it is good or bad.

Fellows
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I'm a vegetarian. Some company genetically modifies corn by splicing in fish DNA so it grows bigger and faster. Another company uses pig DNA in it's tomatoes. What am I eating then... I don't like the idea of cloned food really either, but I don't eat meat or drink milk so it's not as much a concern of mine. I buy organic vegetables and fruit, but if you look into what you may be eating, you might start paying more attention. But it is a matter of choice and opinion, a lot of people don't care the slightest bit what's been done to their food, but with a lack of long term studies about the effects of modified (and now cloned... ) food, I'll stick to what I know.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    If you're going to go into the elemental, pigs and fish are made from the same minerals and basic components as broccoli and celery. The horror! You inhale plenty of animal DNA with every breath. It's not a metonymic relationship. I don't consider a portion of an animal's DNA the animal itself when it's placed in something else. I'm sure there's a portion of a polypeptide chain in me that is identical to that of a corncob. That doesn't make me corn.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I have no problem with technolgy to be honest. I just ask questions when we (as a society) race to do things in more and more un-natural ways.

Fellows

Some genteticists are talking about transplanting human genes into animals like pigs etc..How would you feel about the possibility that what you might be eating in consequence might be partially human.?

PS I might add, that this also extends to grains, fruits etc.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I'm sure there's a portion of a polypeptide chain in me that is identical to that of a corncob. That doesn't make me corn.

No... but that just explains how some folk smell like corn whisky.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse:

But it is a matter of choice and opinion, a lot of people don't care the slightest bit what's been done to their food, but with a lack of long term studies about the effects of modified (and now cloned... ) food, I'll stick to what I know.

That is a good point. I'm not opposed to genetic engineering being used in food these days, but I don't think it's wise to become complacent about it either.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The prospect of "slaughterless" meat is intriguing. However, the eco-systemic threats of man made gene sequences interacting with plant life are disturbing to say the least. Evolution furnishes a tuned instrument. Some may lok to gene manipulations as nothing more than a more advanced husbandry, but since we are not in a solid position to control all the permutations, we can only look at organism modification as profoundly dangerous, and even irresponsible. What happens when certain plant species virtually over-run "natural" species? Are we sure that what we have gained is a benefit, or has trading one geen sequence for another inadvertently traded away a key function of the organism within the eco-system, or perhaps the cure for certain ailments, or even introduced a new problem into the food chain (at the expense of solving some other problem?)

It seems to me, that certain genetic manipulations unleashed intot he ecosystem fly in the face of the environmental credo "tread lightly". Inasmuch as a great dea of careful science is involved, living organisms are notoriously difficult to control -- you cannot be sure what kind of bargain you are making when you improve certain saleable aspects of plant organisms.

This would be different if we could deal only with cloned meat products. A giant growing slab of steak, that never interacts with the gene pool of living cows, and neither introduces new benefits or flaws into that species... That seems OK, in terms of a cautious outlook, and safe practice.

Monsanto wheat? To say nothing of the legal ramifications, it seems rather short sighted, profit driven, and potentially dangerous to continue that sort of practice without some checks that are many orders of magnitude more severe than those currently in place. And no, the FDA doesn't count, they're horribly inadeuate in this regard.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

A giant growing slab of steak...

Or steak that grows on a vine...Imagine cracking open a watermelon and finding tender filet inside. CAN'T WAIT!!!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    well if they could invent brussell sprouts, carrots and spinach that tasted like.....er..strawberry icecream; then I think kids world wide would be queing up for second helpings...
  • Reply 14 of 31
    SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!1111111
  • Reply 15 of 31
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Well, i don't see why cloning will be dangerous, but it will lesser the gene diversity of the species. Farmers spend a lot of time in order to improve their cows by breeding selection. The taste of milk, or meat is also very dependant of the type of food employed and more generally the management of the cows.

I am not sure that i will appreciate to eat exactly the same meat, time after time : choice between the A corp cow, the B corp cow ...

I prefer to think that each meat i eat is unique, natural and not industrial.

Cloning and genetical modifications of animals should be reserved for the medical field.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Fellows

Driving a car is unnatural. Let's go back to walking.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Driving a car is unnatural. Let's go back to walking.

I disagree. Driving a car is perfectly natural.

"Unnatural" is, so far as I can tell, literally unimaginable, since I can't imagine anything in the universe that would not be somehow a part of nature.

Usually, as you rightly imply in your response, unnatural simply means "new-fangled."

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Driving a car is unnatural.

So is wearing clothes. And eating cereal. Hell, everything we do could be considered unnatural. But that sort of talk will just spiral down to a discussion of semantics.

Anyone want to join in on running naked through the woods with me? Or eat the squirrel I just caught?

But by ?natural? many people mean ?The way God? made it?, or perhaps ?the way Mother Nature? made it? as if the forces of nature have/had foresight.

If God had meant for you to modify dna, he would?ve put a gene splicer between your legs.

As long as my body parts don?t fall off, I don?t care. I will wait a few years to see if other people?s do until I dig in though.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Love the types that want to "commune " with nature..hug trees ..get away from western medicine etc...

But like P J O'Rourke once commented about such types..

" They all come scurrying out of their alternative lifestyles the moment they get a toothache..

No alternative medicine...just give me whatever drugs I need to kill the pain ..dammit..."
  • Reply 20 of 31
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    No, splicing fish DNA with corn doesn't make it a fish, but it doesn't make it corn either.