printer connectivity

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Looking for assistance.

Have decided on a new powerbook, and was expecting to purchase it on the weekend. However, the network at work runs to 7-8 Fujitsu Laser printers that appear NOT to have mac version drivers. The driver CD-Rom does not include any, and Fujitsu's site does not offer any for download.

Without printer connectivity, I can't do my job...so it's essential I find some sort of answer to this problem by the weekend.

Connecting to a PC network isn't a problem...but how can I print? The Fujitsu model is Printia Laser Printer XL 5320....if someone could check to see if a driver for this printer is in the mac already....I'd be very appreciative.

--Bozza--

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    My guess is that if the drivers don't exist, neither does your ability to print to said printer. You can always transfer your file to a PeeCee and print from there. However, my brother has cannon hooked up to his computer that I can see on the network here, no drivers installed on my computer. I don't know if it will work the same in your situation though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Hi Bozza!

I googled around a little but could not find information on the Printia series in another language but Japanese. Are you from Asia?

It seemes the Printia is a business class laser printer. These usually offer PostScript support. If so, you should be able to use Apple's LaserWriter drivers to print to those printers. If you need to control the printer's special features, search for a PPD-file (ask your sys-admin at work). These should work with CUPS, the printing system used in OS X.

I don't have too much experience with printing in OS X, but this is how it should work to my understanding.

Try posting this question in the "OS X" or "Digital Hub" thread.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    You can print via SAMBA depending on the OS on the Windows computer. If you're running ME, XP or 2k you should be able to do it. More information?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

You can print via SAMBA depending on the OS on the Windows computer. If you're running ME, XP or 2k you should be able to do it. More information?

Well, you need a printer driver to print to a printer via SAMBA, don't you?

And I guess that the printers in question do have built in printservers or are connected to one.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Well, you need a printer driver to print to a printer via SAMBA, don't you?

And I guess that the printers in question do have built in printservers or are connected to one.

Not necessarily. If there is a print driver for windows, you may be able to get away with using a generic postscript driver. I've done this with a Mita printer that isn't in CUPS. I just used the HP driver and it worked fine.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bozzabozza Posts: 11member
    Thanks for the input.

I'm in Japan, which is why the network uses Fujitsu printers. The driver (PC) talks to you on the desktop (like, amount of paper left in the printer case, what number you are in the queue, the reason a print wasn't successful, which printer of the 7 in the office you can pick up your print from etc....). I'm just wondering whether the printer needs to be taking to you via the driver, whether, in other words, these functions are a necessary feature of the process.

I see Apple says the following of Panther:

'Print directly to Windows shared printers over the SMB protocol.'

I'm wondering whether there is a way to compensate for lack of OEM driver...

If I set the printer to a specific proxy address (which is the case with PC setup) whether the printer will take it from OSX automatically...

I've put off buying until I know for sure. But trying to find out, without a physical test, is difficult.

--Bozza--
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bozza

Thanks for the input.

I'm in Japan, which is why the network uses Fujitsu printers. The driver (PC) talks to you on the desktop (like, amount of paper left in the printer case, what number you are in the queue, the reason a print wasn't successful, which printer of the 7 in the office you can pick up your print from etc....). I'm just wondering whether the printer needs to be taking to you via the driver, whether, in other words, these functions are a necessary feature of the process.

I see Apple says the following of Panther:

'Print directly to Windows shared printers over the SMB protocol.'

I'm wondering whether there is a way to compensate for lack of OEM driver...

If I set the printer to a specific proxy address (which is the case with PC setup) whether the printer will take it from OSX automatically...

I've put off buying until I know for sure. But trying to find out, without a physical test, is difficult.

--Bozza--

You don't need a mac driver to print through a windows computer. You print through samba. (Didn't I just answer this question??)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Moving to the Genius Bar.