really dumb toys

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, i'm sorry, but this new hot wheels track is really scraping the bottom of the barrel...

The T-Wrecks playset, where you race cars up, um, the back of a T-Rex, and, uh, they get caught in his mouth or, um, fall back down. and you can flip 'em to hit the dinosaur in the face to release... er, sorry, "rescue" the other cars.

what the flying f*ck?!?!?

what happened to the good ol' days where you just had seventeen miles of orange track, a good set of stairs, and an open front door and see which hot wheels cars proved the most aerodynamic when launched into the front yard?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member

Quote:

One parent who reviewed the "Harry Potter Nimbus 2000 Broom" on Amazon.com urged parents to be cautious about the vibrating musical broomstick, after noticing how the battery-powered toy was offering his daughter "a more than sensational experience." Five other Amazon reviewers didn't seem concerned, although they were a little confused about why their children were so enthralled by the $20 plaything. One mom was amazed at how intensely her daughter's friends loved the toy and "surprised at how long they can just sit in her room and play with this magic broomstick!" Another parent said his 12-year old daughter plays "for hours in her bedroom with this great toy.... My oldest daughter (17) really likes it too!"

The reviews were jokes of course, but funny nonetheless.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The reviews were jokes of course, but funny nonetheless.

• Reply 3 of 13
    *cough* *cough*
  • Reply 4 of 13
    One of the funniest things ever on Saturday Night Live was during a news segment and they were doing a list of not recomended toys for Christmas. Number one is The Gas Powered Sharp Thing!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Ay, don't forget da "Bag-o-GLASS!"

As for today's toys: Jerry Lee Lewis Elmo or whatever the fark it's called it about as ridiculous as they come. Bee-bop Elmo... something like that. Saw it on an ad last night. aCK!

The very next commercial was for a Dancing Barney doll. Very original.

• Reply 6 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, i would be negligent if i didn't exhume this lil' gem from one of my previous threads...

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

As for today's toys: Jerry Lee Lewis Elmo or whatever the fark it's called it about as ridiculous as they come. Bee-bop Elmo... something like that. Saw it on an ad last night. aCK!

would that be the "hokey pokey" elmo...?

the "chicken dance" elmo...?

or the ever-so-fun-at-parties "limbo elmo"...?

• Reply 8 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Chicken-Dance Elmo is a fantastic toy, child.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    SARS-flavored chewing toy for teething babies.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Chicken-Dance Elmo is a fantastic toy, child.

okay, did i miss a joke here, child?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Thank you ever-so-much rok, for sharing with us not one but THREE examples of the afore-mentioned Elmo plague. Chicken Dance Elmo... you gotta have balls to market something like that!

• Reply 12 of 13
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    At Barnes and Noble we got an animated display for some kids book with a worm character in it. The display had a moving "erect worm" that rocked from left to right behind a tree...visualize that...get it? Got it...good...we removed the "worm" from the display.

Somehow, I just don't get Madison Avenue's thinking. Marketers especially. Deaf, dumb and blind.

"We have got to tie in this hot dinosaur angle with our Hot Wheels car...any ideas?"
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Heheh...

Hey, you watching the Leafs-Flyers game tonight?