MS Office and Panther?

dcqdcq
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Are there any compatibility issues with Panther and Office? Major or minor? I haven't heard of any, but I really can't go even a day without full Office functionality, and I'm worried since I've heard VPC is broken in Panther (and no timetable for fixing it).

Will I be ok if I upgrade?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I don't know about new installations, but I had both MS Office and VPC before Panther, and after an upgrade installation, both work fine. I've only used VPC for running PSPICE and the only problem I noticed is that when I had many files and windows open, I couldn't copy files from the Windows desktop to the Mac desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Hmmm...Thanks for your comments. It's encouraging, but...

When I was in my local Apple Store, Panther and Virtual PC in hand walking to the check-out counter, a rep stopped me and said that I should only buy one, because the two didn't work together. (I ended up buying neither to check with my wife to see which one she needed/wanted more...and then we thought of the Office question.) It's not common to find an employee who will stop you from buying several hundred dollars woth of software unless they are sure that there is an incompatibility.

Anyone else able to use VPC?

For that matter, is anyone else able to use Office on Panther? (I just want to be sure, because this is important...to me at least.)

Thanks.

DCQ
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Sounds like the rep got mixed up with the G5 / VPC issue.

Panther and VPC 6.x on a G3 or G4 work fine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've used Word and Excel after installing Panther with no problems. It was already updated with the latest patches at the time.

Others in my office, who I'm sure don't have the latest patches, also haven't had any issues with Office Apps.

I haven't tested VPC, but I can on my Ti. Its not the latest version either.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    What is scary is that the Microsoft stuff I am using runs better on Panther! MS Office is great and I am running VPC better than on Jaguar! I am having problems with the Apple stuff! ISync is not syncing and file vault appears to be a handy way to erase files.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Microsoft Office v.X works great here, though there are some UI errors that are annoying. The "Aqua stripes" on the Office toolbars are faked -- they didn't draw from the system but instead were painted on there by Microsoft. Which means they don't mesh well with or look like the new Panther-style Aqua windows and toolbars. Irritating, but it doesn't effect functionality.