iMac/iLamp is cool...(experience)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I went down to the Apple store in the mall of america yesterday... to get a look at the "iLamp" and it is cool...

doesnt really look that much like a lamp in person...

the store was packed and the new iMac had a "ever present" crowd of people around it... you had to wait almost 10 min in line just to get to play with it...

the base was a bit larger than I thought but by no means large... and it is cool looking to / futuristic...

The most impressive thing i realized was there "IS" a fan...!!! And it is always "ON"... The base is "Cool" to the touch - YES I said "Cool" to the touch and I couldnt hear the fan... I had my ear up next to the base an nothing... There was a crowd but they werent that loud... you could feel a breeze coming thru the top all of the time...

I am impressed... the screen isnt as easy to push around as they would have you think... it isnt hard... but it isnt as light as a cloud either...

If I had the money I would buy one...

I sat outside the store for about 20 min just watching the store catch peoples eyes as they walked by... it was kinda cool how almost every one on that side of the hall stoped to go in, if not just browse thru the windows... for a minute... almost every one under 18 stopped to tell their parent how cool the iBook was in the display...

They held a couple 10.1 shows in the back and I learned a whole bunch of little things about 10.1 that I didnt even know...

just FYI...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Current Hardware?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Nice, nice. Oh why doesn't Apple build a store here? Argh!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Where is the Sleep light on the new iMac? Does the light look cool?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    are there any controls on the monitor (eg for sleep)?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The iMac monitor has holes on the bottom left and right. Left hole = microphone. Right hole = light

I was under the impression the iMac fan was not always on.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to Current Hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by trystero:

<strong>are there any controls on the monitor (eg for sleep)?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. Just two holes like Eugene said.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    why is the mic on the bottom of the LCD ?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Well, it's at the top of the old iMacs, and with the new ones, people are likely to have the LCD up higher than the base. Makes sense I guess to lower the microphone location.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Does anyone actually use the internal mic?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    If the mic wasn't there people would have something else to complain about!
  • Reply 12 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>If the mic wasn't there people would have something else to complain about! </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's true
  • Reply 13 of 26
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I guess it's useful. As mentioned in the iMac documentation, it saves people the expense of buying an external mic if they just want to add a basic commentary in iMovie.

And it comes in handy for Voice Verification, that amazing new technology that appeared with OS 9... oh wait... that amazing new technology that disappeared with OS X...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Is the internal mic any good?
  • Reply 15 of 26
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Im posting here instead of starting a new thread.

I got to play with my first iMac last night...WOW!! Much cooler in person. I was really impressed by it. The looks are great.

The base has a satin finish and the metal arm is VERY sturdy. People were yanking it back and forth the whole time I was there (I imagine it had been that way since it was first displayed). It feels solid.

The screen is beautiful (I wouldnt mind a bit more resolution though). I hadn't realized how nice it is to be able to easily move the screen in any direction to adjust it or get it out of the way...sweet!

I didnt try the mic, but it is in the front.

I would have liked to play with it more, but there was a line the whole time I was there (Apple Store in Tysons Corner). There was one hard-core macgeek there who was almost scaring off all the customers because he was helping the staff a bit too much. Then he started to explain the 'insider' stuff about the machine. The sales woman just smiled politely.

Anyways, I give it a 9.5 out of 10.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>

Anyways, I give it a 9.5 out of 10.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd definately give it a 10.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Indeed, a 10.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I'd say an 8. Loses points for the design taking precedence over ease and expense of memory upgrades. The one thing that consumers are likely to upgrade over the lifetime of a computer is memory, and yet the iMac's design makes this both awkward and more costly than it needs to be.

If we're being really picky, also knock another point off and make it a 7 for announcing a product that wouldn't ship for at least three weeks.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>If we're being really picky, also knock another point off and make it a 7 for announcing a product that wouldn't ship for at least three weeks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately a common Apple practice. I wouldn't ding them a full point though, maybe a .5. In my book that makes the machine an 8.5 out of a possible 10. (only one color? White? BLAH...)
  • Reply 20 of 26
    What the hell? If a consumer wants 1 gb of ram in an imac they should probably get a damn Powermac.