password to eject firewire disk

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
with Panther newly installed, I have to type my password every time I eject my firewire disk.. How can I avoid this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

with Panther newly installed, I have to type my password every time I eject my firewire disk.. How can I avoid this?

Does your FW HD have a system on it... I've seen in Jaguar when you put a system on your FW and are logged in either as an admin or nonadmin user it will do this to you... unfortunately I haven't found any means to bypass this
  • Reply 2 of 5
    no, there's no system on the drive. When I eject from my PowerBook (also running Panther) I don't get this message.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    this came up at a mac user group meeting i went to. i think it was fixed by going through the permissions and changing them all to your username. i'm no expert on it, and i wasnt paying attention cause i dont have panther yet. try using disk utility or any other disk program and verify permissions on it. i hope this helps, and if i can remeber more, i'll post it. i know it's a fixable problem though
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    ok, I found that unchecking the 'ignore ownership on this volume' in Get Info solves the issue.

But when I plug it into my PowerBook, the option is checked again, but I still don't have to enter a password.

\
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    BUT now I restarted my desktop and the 'unchecked' drive is back to demanding a password, so I re-checked the 'ignore ownership' box and it's gone back to not needing a password.