Dual G5 with ISight issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Could anyone tell me what type of problem this sounds like.

I have several cams that i tested this out with. I have a apple isight and a pyro firewire webcam also. I just received my dual g5 not to long ago and on the fron firewire port i try to connect the isight and very often i get a black window in yahoo or ichat dosent matter the application. generally i have to plug it into the back to get it started it seems. never had this prob on my g4. withte pyro cam i can plug it in the back and seems fine to me always a picture.

just currious if the ports on the front of the mac are powered or not and if this matters?

someone at wacom told me that i cant plug my tablet into the front cause im asking for trouble.

so im jsut currious if this may be the reason for the isight not working

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    If the front port isn't powered, then yes, the iSight won't work with it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    The front FW port is powered. I have my pocket-sized VST FW drive on it right now and the drive is getting power from the FW port.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    so i guess that means that only the usb port on the front isnt powered then. im just saying that cause i ran into an issue where the tablet just stoped working was a big hassel, then wacom said that the usb port isnt powered on the front and faxed me documentation from apple. so maybe the firewire ports are powered like you said but i did notice that on some stats it says 15watts for both firewire ports so maybe if i have a scanner lets say in the back port then there isnt enough power for the isight to work properly?

just guessing here but something is wrong for sure....

either the ports are defective cause hte problem is intermitent and anoying, or the isight is defective.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Genius Bar Ho!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

so i guess that means that only the usb port on the front isnt powered then. im just saying that cause i ran into an issue where the tablet just stoped working was a big hassel, then wacom said that the usb port isnt powered on the front and faxed me documentation from apple. so maybe the firewire ports are powered like you said but i did notice that on some stats it says 15watts for both firewire ports so maybe if i have a scanner lets say in the back port then there isnt enough power for the isight to work properly?

just guessing here but something is wrong for sure....

either the ports are defective cause hte problem is intermitent and anoying, or the isight is defective.

The front USB port is powered. I have used keyboard, mouse, joystick, and flight sim yoke on the front USB port without problems. If it wasn't powered none of those devices would work on it. WACOM is full of crap if they said it isn't powered.

Edit: More information here:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...0804/TPXREF102