Need new speakers... what to get?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, so I've got my G4/500 MP (and Ti 667, but this post is for the desktop). Got my dual monitors, burner, enough RAM, blah, blah, blah. What I need now is a good audio system that has great sound, is small (so it will fit in my dorm room next year), and less than $150.

I want a subwoofer and 4 or 5 satellites, but I am not willing to get a PCI soundcard unless the drivers will work in OS X.

So I was at Best Buy today and listened to a number of systems. The Creative Labs FPS-1800 was nice, but lacked midrange. Their 5300 was perfect, but it apparently won't work without a soundcard due to the inputs (needs front, rear, and middle inputs). The JBL setup there was nice, but was only 3 piece and was pretty spendy, IMO. The Altec Lansing systems sounded anemic, though the one that I wanted to see (the AVS-500) was not set up. My dad has the AVS-200 (two satellites with no sub) at work, and the speakers sound great.

So, what do you all use? Suggestions?

TIA

-Ender

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    i've got the altec lansing ACS66i which is a version made in mac colors. not only were the speakers reasonable (around $70) but they sound great. i'm very pleased with them...especially when i crank up some MP3's.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't know which model they are, but I've got the black Altec lansing 4 piece speakers with subwoofer. Great sound. They were around $100.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    joe ojoe o Posts: 32member
    I have a G4 system and I listen to MP3s nearly the entire time I'm in front of the screen (and even when I'm not sometimes!). I bought a set of Soundsticks from Harmon/kardon and I love them. The subwoofer gives out really decent bass and the two "satellite" sticks (speakers) put out a lot of sound. I've gone to just playing MP3s on my Mac using the soundsticks rather than using my stereo system. Granted, the stereo gets louder, but I never listen to music when the volume is rediculously high anyway. And the other nice part about the soundsticks is that they are definitely stylish and they compliment my G4 and monitor well. Since I bought my Mac partly because of its style (ok, I admit it!), I didn't want to "ugly" it up with boring beige (or black) speakers.

Joe
  • Reply 4 of 33
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Is it this system:

<a href="http://www.altecmm.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=17795&prmenbr=9490&from="; target="_blank">http://www.altecmm.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=17795&prmenbr=9490&from=</a>;

I listened to that system at Best Buy and I didn't really feel one way or another about it. I was kinda peeved because they were using a staticky radio station to demo the speakers, so I couldn't really get a good sound out of 'em.

I've been reading some more reviews, and the general consensus is that the Altec AVS-500 is nice for the money, but the bass is thumpy and the highs are only good for games, and not music (like a violin piece). I really enjoy classical music much more than "ejecting brass", so that one is pretty much out (unless I get a chance to listen to it for myself).

I came across this Logitech system:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00005AUKK/reviews/ref=e_de_a_er/104-5501408-0295133"; target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00005AUKK/reviews/ref=e_de_a_er/104-5501408-0295133</a>;

Do any of you know anything about it? Logitech doesn't have it listed on their website, but there are reviews all over the place and they seem to be generally positive.

Anyway, what do the rest of you use? Pros/Cons with your current setup? I'm really kinda a newbie at the whole audio thing...

-Ender
  • Reply 5 of 33
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    What sound cards support 4.1 or 5.1 speaker systems? I didn't think there were any. Very interesting......
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Well the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! PCI card is *supposed* to do 4.1 surround, but the mac drivers (and I'm not speaking from experience, just from what I've heard) are so terrible as to make buying the card a complete waste of money.

So, since we have no good 4.1/5.1 surround card, I will just get nice speakers and use them as left/right for now, and get a nice card later.

Oh, and on the first day that I went to Best Buy, I stopped by AIS Computers and listened to the SoundSticks/iSub. I thought they looked nice, but sounded weak. Especially for the price. I'm not willing to pay $200 for a 3 piece audio system. I'm barely willing to pay $200 for a 5 piece audio system. (While I was there, I saw a salesman sell a 733 tower, 17" ASD, SoundSticks, iSub, with an iPod; I was shocked.)

And thanks for all this advice, I appreciate it.

-Ender
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I feel that quality is always better than getting a cheap system that will either break or will be limiting in the future.

So, after having reading reviews and such for much of the day, I think I'm going to go with a Klipsch ProMedia system. I cannot decide between the v.2-400 and the 4.1 model though. They both have pretty much the same specs, but the 4.1 is a refined version of the v.2-400, has a headphone jack, and a MP3 player input. The big question is whether it's worth an extra $100.

Right now, I'm thinking "fook it, go for it! You'll regret it if you don't." But I really am not sure.

I found a site that is doing free shipping on the 4.1 model for $300. I might do that, the v.2-400 is not free shipping and so then the difference is only $75...

Have any of you heard this system in action before?

-Ender
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Don't forget the Monsoons!

I have the 1000 (about $150 6 months ago), and I love it.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Can't macs now handle 5.1 surround without the need for a sound card? If so, promedia makes a nice 5.1 set-up too.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>I feel that quality is always better than getting a cheap system that will either break or will be limiting in the future.

So, after having reading reviews and such for much of the day, I think I'm going to go with a Klipsch ProMedia system. I cannot decide between the v.2-400 and the 4.1 model though. They both have pretty much the same specs, but the 4.1 is a refined version of the v.2-400, has a headphone jack, and a MP3 player input. The big question is whether it's worth an extra $100.

Right now, I'm thinking "fook it, go for it! You'll regret it if you don't." But I really am not sure.

I found a site that is doing free shipping on the 4.1 model for $300. I might do that, the v.2-400 is not free shipping and so then the difference is only $75...

Have any of you heard this system in action before?

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

Go for it. You get what you pay for (except on Powermacs right now).
  • Reply 11 of 33
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    Pioneer SE-M870 Stereo Headphones. Great for small areas, and $ for $ produce better sound.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    FAIK, while Mac OS X can handle 5.1 surround in software, the current towers do not have the outputs to send the signal to speakers. All we have is a stereo miniplug (left and right channels, not left/right & front/back).

Matsu, I considered getting the 5.1 system in case my tower can handle 5.1 surround in the future, but lots of reviews said that the middle channel (the difference between the 4.1 and 5.1 setup) is way overbearing, and only really works well for DVDs, where the voice is the primary thing that is going on. I think that for $100 less, I can do without the fifth satellite.

Falcon, those headphones look cool, but I'm not really a headphone kind of guy. I only use headphones when I'm on my Ti PB on an airplane or something, and then I want really small headphones that fit in my case easily.

shaman, I have heard the monsoons, but I want a 4 satellite setup, and I would rather go with the Creative Labs FPS-1800 over the monsoon 2000 series. They just didn't sound right to me (and the FPS-1800s had such weak midrange and that wouldn't sound good in anything but games, IMO).

I think that I will order the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system sometime this week maybe. The more I think about it, the more I want them. Now I'm even getting to the point where I notice every hiss and pop of my current setup and for the first time ever I *hear* the flaws. Damnit! If we humans could just be content with what we have!

Thanks again,

-Ender
  • Reply 13 of 33
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    A few years ago I bougth a nice stereo, later on I got my G4 tower, eventually I got to copy all of my CD to iTunes and now i have the perfect solution: The ease of iTunes (all my CD's rigth there) and the sound from my stereo.

So my advice buy a stereo and hook your mac up to it, or if you already have a stereo all you need is a cable

Even if the stereo is more expensive I think it'll be worth it.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    That's what I do now, but it's a very old stereo, and the amp produces mucho distortion and pops and other noises. I would just replace the amp, except I am looking to the near future (next fall) and I see myself in a dorm room with very little space. I will be taking my tower, but I don't think I'll be able to fit my full stereo in there.

That's why I'm going with the much smaller satellites with sub. If I had all the space in the world, yeah, I'd go get a Bose stereo and ($2000 later...) have a wonderful setup far above the Klipsch. Unfortunately, this will be the best I can do.

-Ender
  • Reply 15 of 33
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>...I see myself in a dorm room with very little space. I will be taking my tower, but I don't think I'll be able to fit my full stereo in there.

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I live in a dorm...
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Well, I don't know about the dorms in Denmark, but the ones here in Georgia are SMALL! I'm taking my G4/500 MP tower with dual 17" monitors and external burner, AND my Ti PB 667, AND my sound system, and it looks like that will be about half of my side of the dorm room.

Most people even vault their beds to make room for their stuff (like a bunk bed without the lower bunk).

Anyway, I broke down and bought the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system today for $300 (free shipping! woo ha!) from vanns.com. I could not find a review that said anything derogatory about it except when comparing it to the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 system (that is $100 more for one more speaker). The 4.1 system has everything I could want and more (headphone jack accessible on the front of the speaker, volume & bass control, etc.), so I just figured "what the heck, I'll blow my roomies away."

Anyway, I'll let y'all know how they perform when I get 'em. Don't know how long UPS Ground will take though, so this thread might be long buried before they show up.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

-Ender
  • Reply 17 of 33
    You should be VERY excited!! I've got the Pro Media 2.1 solution, and I think they are GREEEEAT!!! I even sold my stereo, because I figured I didn't need it!! Anyway, I'm not a sound expert, and anything with a little subwoofer can excite me (!?), but I'm pretty sure that these speakers are hi-end when it comes to computer speakers... so look forward to your new speakers... I bet you won't regret it...
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Awesome, I'm glad to hear yet another glowing (semi-)review. They are scheduled for delivery on next Friday (UPS Ground shipping was free, 2nd day air was like $50).

-Ender
  • Reply 19 of 33
    taqtaq Posts: 76member
    Klipsch makes great speakers. I don't care too much for a 4/5 channel system. Unless the signals are discreet and mixed correctly I think the effect is hokey. On my home system , an Onkyo with Definitive Technology speakers it's Awesome, but then again, Definitive technology speakers rock. On a computer system...well never been impressed. I get better imaging of sound for my MP3's from 2 speakers and a sub. I'm getting the Harmon Kardon sound sticks with the iSub. they sound great and will look great next to my new flat pannel iMac (when it comes in). Either way, Klipsch makes great speakers. I'm sure you won't be disapointed. The best advice I was ever given was to splurge on the speakers for my home theatre system Even though my wallet is $1300 lighter, I haven't regretted it.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    was going to buy the Monsoon MM702 but they dont sell any products in Europe yet. Dammit.

I just bought Hercules XPS 210, 2.1 system. So far, for 65$ I am very impressed. Very good sound and the bass is nice and deep... muahaha.